Increase font size
Topic Title: Is this normal?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/30/2005 03:22 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/30/2005 03:22 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
yelloweyes

Aurora - Gigabyte 7DX Motherboard with Integrated Components (Millennia® Max XP)

AMD T-Bird Athlon 1000MHz 200FSB PGA (Socket A)

I had a major crash and had to reformat... Now I am having problems with everything hanging after a few min, then works fine for a bit and hangs again for up to 40 seconds before returning. I used to be able to go all day long and then play 3D games with no problem.

I guess my real question is that my CPU is running at 100% all the time. I have removed all startup programs thru msconfig, and only have Explorer and Sys tray showing when I do a control, alt, delete. The CPU is running at normal temp, just under a full load.
I would really appreciate any thoughts on this problem.

I have done a few tweaks and it now only hangs at first, it seems like it has to settle in to a program. But still running at 100% usage.

-------------------------
Thank You
For All Your Help.
May GOD be your CoPilot
 02/07/2005 12:02 AM

Author Icon
AMDkillsIntel

Do you run SETI? If you do change the preferences to only run when screen saver screen is maximized or screen saver is on.

Current System: IBM Thinkpad T22, Pentium III 1ghz, 512Mb RAM, 80Gb HD, S3 Graphics.

Future System: Homebuilt, AMD X2 3800+ (OC), 2Gb RAM, 400Gb HD, Nvidia GeForce 7800
 02/07/2005 12:54 AM

Author Icon
yelloweyes

Thanks AMDkillsIntel:
No I do not run SETI.
I have figured out the problem I was having with the game stuttering/hanging
I needed to install the Nvidia WMD drivers.
As far as the CPU running at 100% I havent a clue, even if I just have the necessary things running to run windows it still is at 100%. I have done CPU tests, and X setup pro tests as well as a host of other diagnostics and can find no explaination for this. How ever it still runs as well as it has for the past 5 years.

Just go's to show ya AMD takes a lickin an keeps on tickin. AMD is all I ever have used, I have however had to repair a lot of Pentium Intel's.

Thanks again for the help.
Take Care
May God walk with you and yours.

Yelloweyes aka Jay

Thank You
For All Your Help.
May GOD be your CoPilot
 02/10/2005 09:38 PM

Author Icon
somethingbrite

There are a few more things you can get rid of, check out http://www.blackviper.com/ for a bunch of non essential but resource hungry services that you can lose.

There are a few config sys and registry edits to get rid of things like "Accessibilty options" easily found if you google for "remove unwanted windows components"

Download, Install and run Adaware SE if you havent already, clear out all the junk that it finds, then download the latest Spybot S&D and do the same.

Then uninstall the one you like the least, along with anything else you dont use or like. (I personally get rid of lots of stuff from a fresh Windows XP install almost straight away, there is a lot of bloatware in the standard install.)

Download PrcView and have a look at all your background processes...

http://www.pcworld.com/downloa...desc...fid,6102,00.asp' ">http://www.pcworld.com/downloa...tion/0,fid,6102,00.asp

Finally, if when you are ctrl/alt/delete opening Task manager and looking at the processes tab you see CPU 97% as the "System Idle process" this is actually normal. Unless you ARE running SETI or a folding project as a background task the CPU has to have SOMETHING to do....everybody needs a hobby.
 02/10/2005 11:45 PM

Author Icon
yelloweyes

Thank You somethingbrite;
I have done all of the above and I am familiar with Black Vipers site.
I am running ME on mine. But I do work a bit on others XP OS cleaning up their messes. I build, repair and tune up computers on the side. Personally as far as i am concerned I am an AMD man all the way.

Thank You
For All Your Help.
May GOD be your CoPilot
 02/11/2005 06:15 AM

Author Icon
somethingbrite

The only way to go mate!!!!! AMD all the way!!!!!
They seem to be going from strength to strength right now too and competition in the tech sector is always good. Good for science and engineering and good for us end users!
 02/11/2005 07:46 AM

Author Icon
KachiWachi

Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base' ">http://support.microsoft.com/search/ for "CPU reads 100%" and see what applies to you.

KachiWachi

Moderator - Wim's BIOS

CPU #1 - DFI 586IPVG, K6-2/+ 450 (Cyrix MII 433), 128MB EDO. BIOS patched by Jan Steunebrink.
CPU #2 - Amptron PM-7900 (M520), i200 non-MMX, 128MB EDO
CPU #3 - HP8766C, PIII-667, 768MB SDRAM
CPU #4 - ASUS P3V4X, PIII-733, 256MB SDRAM
CPU #5 - ??? ;)
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information