Increase font size
Topic Title: 4 Pin power plug
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/01/2006 01:32 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/01/2006 01:32 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
geezer_wheelz
Elite

Good day all
I have a k7s7-ag ver.1.5 motherboard, socket A, the motherboard has the 4 pin power plug that I have seen on the Pentium 4 motherboards, I told the dealer I wanted a new PSU for this motherboard and he told me I needed this 4 pin plug, my system is up and running without the plug plugged in, I am just curious if it would improve performance or cook the cpu?
Thanks for your thoughts.

-------------------------
Asus M4A79 Deluxe, Phenom II 940 BE, 20,770 3D06

Asus Moderator ~ My CPU Overheating Guide
 10/02/2006 10:59 PM

Author Icon
Suzueya

If it were me, I would download the mobo manual and see if I could figure out what that plug is supposed to be for.
 10/03/2006 11:10 AM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

It will not harm the cpu

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

10/03/2006 12:58 PM

Author Icon
geezer_wheelz
Elite

quote:

Originally posted by: Suzueya
If it were me, I would download the mobo manual and see if I could figure out what that plug is supposed to be for.

I had done that, In the beginning of the manual it said I did not need to use it, then later when it was telling me how to install the cpu it said to plug it in. That's why i came here to see if there was anyone smarter than me or the manual. /wacko.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />

quote:

Originally posted by: MD Willington
It will not harm the cpu

Thanks for the reply, do you know if there will be any performance increases by using it? I have some nasty latency issues with this setup that's why I am so curious about this plug

Thanks to everyone who has replied

10/03/2006 02:37 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

It just applies power closer to the processor, helps to deal with long traces from the power section elswhere on the board, also provides a dedicated power section for the processor.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

10/03/2006 09:15 PM

Author Icon
geezer_wheelz
Elite

quote:

Originally posted by: MD Willington
It just applies power closer to the processor, helps to deal with long traces from the power section elswhere on the board, also provides a dedicated power section for the processor.

Thank you very much MD Willington, now I know that is not the issue with my latency.
Appreciate it much.

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information