Increase font size
Topic Title: I think I'm stuck
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/24/2006 09:49 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/24/2006 09:49 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
macusr

I have an IBM Aptivia 2170-245 that I got from my uncle. I know it's a K6-2, 450 MHz processor, with 256 MB RAM and I believe a 30 GB hd.

Now, it seems to be very confusing to find the maximum hard drive size for it.

When I got it had Windows 98 installed, though since it had all his old applications, and because I didn't want to use Windows, I was going to install Ubuntu.

So mid-way though the installer (after the questions, when it's actually installing) it froze. That's when all these problems began.

I am no longer able to get anywhere with the Ubuntu CD or a Windows 2000 or a Windows 98 CD. The Windows CDs both freeze and I get a strange error with the Ubuntu CD, all I remember is that it had a copyright by H Peter Hanvin, and thansk to Google, he makes Syslinux, a bootloader for Linux.

Now, I believe that the harddrive is now unreadable due to the complete formatting of it during the Ubuntu installation (which crashed)

At the MS-DOS prompt from the Windows 98SE CD, DIR C: and FORMAT C: both give me Bad command or file name! *grr* But even if it can't list the directory of C because of the non MS-DOS files, it should still be able to format it, right?

Since I can't do anything, and because I'm 99% sure it's the HD, I was going to get a new one.

After some Google searches, it takes IDE, but I can't find the maximum for it. Another thread on this board said that I would need to update the BIOS (which is hard to do when there's no operating system on it). But I'm pretty sure I remember seeing that it said 30 GB hd.

Does that mean my uncle already updated the BIOS? Or can it just normally accept big HDs? I saw in that thread that ths maximum the 2170s can accept 127 GB, but they didn't know if that was with or with out a BIOS update.

So, can anyone tell me what that maximum HD this thing can take? And if the max is only like 8 GB with the old BIOS, would a 30 GB one work (the one I'm pretty sure that's in it) or would it only be able to use 8GB? would there be a label on the HD that tells me how big it is?

I don't know what else to do, and I just got this yeserday and don't want to throw it out. Can I just go get an 80GB IDE hd and plug it in? and sorry for the really long post
 09/24/2006 05:51 PM

Author Icon
zeppelinrox

erm.. maybe if you format that post a bit.. say use paragraphs, some people will read it.
as it is, it's really difficult to read and we are lazy

ok.. i'm too lazy to decipher it but still..

-------------------------

Overclocking Help and Links . Why DRM, BluRay and HD-DVD Blow Great tools-> OC Bible v1.52 and Guidemania v1.2
 09/24/2006 07:36 PM

Author Icon
macusr

ok, I seperated it
 09/24/2006 09:17 PM

Author Icon
zeppelinrox

the CD drive may be failing... not sure why all 3 CDs would crap out.
if you goto ultimatebootcd.com, you can burn that iso and it has alot of hard drive utilities on there among other things.
it's really good to have.

as far as the bios goes, you can likely update it by booting from the bootcd or a floppy disk and flash the bios that way.

no OS needs to be installed

Overclocking Help and Links . Why DRM, BluRay and HD-DVD Blow Great tools-> OC Bible v1.52 and Guidemania v1.2
 09/25/2006 07:58 AM

Author Icon
KachiWachi

Go download the HDD manufacturers test disk...see what happens.

KachiWachi

Moderator - Wim's BIOS

CPU #1 - DFI 586IPVG, K6-2/+ 450 (Cyrix MII 433), 128MB EDO. BIOS patched by Jan Steunebrink.
CPU #2 - Amptron PM-7900 (M520), i200 non-MMX, 128MB EDO
CPU #3 - HP8766C, PIII-667, 768MB SDRAM
CPU #4 - ASUS P3V4X, PIII-733, 256MB SDRAM
CPU #5 - ??? ;)
 10/01/2006 07:31 PM

Author Icon
Suzueya

Try sticking in a Win98 boot disk then use the "Fdisk" command to repartition your drive. (NOTE : You will lose everything on the drive doing this) If that does'nt work the only other thing I can suggest is running a "Low Level" format to get rid of any errors that your crash may have caused on the boot track.
 10/04/2006 12:46 AM

Author Icon
enxio27

quote:

Originally posted by: macusr
Now, I believe that the harddrive is now unreadable due to the complete formatting of it during the Ubuntu installation (which crashed)

Try getting DFSee and see what it says about the drive.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information