Increase font size
Topic Title: L1 cache
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/17/2006 11:14 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/17/2006 11:14 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
seancrotty

Hi.

I want to convert my old Win98se pc to a dual booting Win98Se/WinXP system so that my sister can use Itunes with her new Ipod.

My socket 7 motherboard uses the intel 430tx chipset (the board is a PC Chips M550), ami bios(release 11/17/1997 S), 64 meg of ram, 30 gig hard drive.

The processor is a spectra overdrive AMD K6-2@400mhz. Normally, my amibios(the latest and last version they did for my motherboard) disables the L1 cache on the processor causing it to run at a snails pace. The fix under Win98se is a file called L1enable.vxd which is run from Win.ini with the line

device=L1enable.vxd

The problem is, this doesn't work when I boot into WinXP and the system is so slow as to be unusuable. I know I'll need more memory as well, and it's never going to be that fast, but I only need to be able to run Itunes.

So the question is: how do I enable the L1 cache on an AMD K6-2@400mhz under WinXp - I'm ideally looking for a file I can run automatically during the startup sequences, but would setttle for a utility that has to be run manually if need be. Any ideas?

Hope you can help.

Cheers

Sean
 02/17/2006 07:36 PM

Author Icon
Suzueya

I can't answer your question. But KachiWachi might be able to; and there is a guy called "Cake", (a bios expert), over at http://www.k6plus.com who could probably help you out.
 02/17/2006 07:50 PM

Author Icon
seancrotty

quote:

Originally posted by: Suzueya
I can't answer your question. But KachiWachi might be able to; and there is a guy called "Cake", (a bios expert), over at http://www.k6plus.com who could probably help you out.

Suzueya, that's a great idea. I'll try and drop them a line

All the best...and thanks /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Sean
 02/18/2006 07:15 AM

Author Icon
KachiWachi

I never heard of a BIOS doing this, nor would I understand why it would. /wacko.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />

You could try posting this over at The PCChips Lottery and at Wim's BIOS (I post to both of these forums as well) and ask some of the other *experts* about this phenomena.

You could always use a utility such as WAMonitor II v.57 that you can set to re-enable the L1 cache after boot...but ideally you would want to do this before/during the boot process to speed things up a bit.

Is this L1enable.vxd come with the Spectra kit or...??

Did the M550 require the Spectra for power reasons or...?? (Apparantly...and for VCore voltage reasons.)

Are you sure that is an AMI BIOS and not AWARD? (It is AMI.)

NOTE - Edits in parenthesis.

-------------------------
KachiWachi

Moderator - Wim's BIOS

CPU #1 - DFI 586IPVG, K6-2/+ 450 (Cyrix MII 433), 128MB EDO. BIOS patched by Jan Steunebrink.
CPU #2 - Amptron PM-7900 (M520), i200 non-MMX, 128MB EDO
CPU #3 - HP8766C, PIII-667, 768MB SDRAM
CPU #4 - ASUS P3V4X, PIII-733, 256MB SDRAM
CPU #5 - ??? ;)
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information