Increase font size
Topic Title: amd k6 bug
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/17/2006 01:24 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/17/2006 01:24 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
markyy

I have an AMD K6 currently being used in a computer hosting a webserver. During kernel compilations/gcc or anything of bigger size, random segmentation violations will occur. While I realize this isn't the place to ask about linux type errors I did some investigating on my own and came across numerous documents stating that users of AMD K6 and their brothers+sister chips have reported this problem which was later corrected during a revision. How am I to go about using a processor with a known bug in it?
 02/21/2006 05:13 AM

Author Icon
aetius

quote:

Originally posted by: marky
I have an AMD K6 currently being used in a computer hosting a webserver. During kernel compilations/gcc or anything of bigger size, random segmentation violations will occur. While I realize this isn't the place to ask about linux type errors I did some investigating on my own and came across numerous documents stating that users of AMD K6 and their brothers+sister chips have reported this problem which was later corrected during a revision. How am I to go about using a processor with a known bug in it?

Well, you could just find out which processors had the bug, and which ones didn't. Then go buy the "good" K6 on ebay for cheap (they are pretty cheap now) and swap them out!

BTW did you check AMD's site for any patches for your cpu? I know they did have some patches for older cpu's awhile back that fixed certain compatability problems they had with certain programs.

Also a lot of the older Socket 7 mainboards can run Pentium cpu's as well. I used to do benchmarks with mine comparing P-200, 233 MMX cpu's with my K6-233 cpu. (Mine always beat the Pentiums by a LARGE margin). That might be an option as well, just pick up a P-233MMX and slap it into your motherboard for better compatability.

I never needed one (I also did not run Linux) with my good ole' K6-233 (MMX) cpu that I used for several years and still have stashed away in a closet with the FIC-PA2012 MB w/ 384mb of PC-100 ram!

Ahh... the memories

-------------------------
Main system,
AMD 64 3700+ San Diego 1mb L2, ASUS A8v, 2.0gb Corsair Twin-X, PNY 6800GS(T) 256mb 16/6,WD 250gb 7200/8, Sony DRU-710a,LG DVD-16x, Windows XP Pro SP2, Enermax Noisetaker 420w, DSL

Video editing system
XP 2800+ Barton , ASROCK K7VT4A+, 1.0gb Corsair XMS Cas 2, MSI FX 5900xt 128mb, Samsung 80gb 7200/2, Sony DRU-810a DVDR/RW-DL & MSi DVD 16, Audigy Platinum, Windows XP Pro SP2, Antec 300w, DSL-Lan hookup.
 02/22/2006 12:20 AM

Author Icon
Suzueya

Though I like the idea of swapping out the processor for a later model K6-?, (3+ is best if possible), as your best solution, I do have a CD of AMD patches given me by a tech from a local computer shop. You want a copy, PM me an e-mail address. Hope that is not diseased avian. i.e. sick bird.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information