Increase font size
Topic Title: Memory error caused by Duron
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/08/2006 12:11 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/08/2006 12:11 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
marcosarino

Hi all,

I am in a big trouble. After a lot of test and a lot of days and money wasted I isolated the source of error in a memory test: The Duron 1.4 processor.

I am using a M863G motherboard with 1 x DDR 512MB, a really simple configuration. I got som errors instaling the Windows and submiting the machine to Windows Memory Test and memtest 86, both offline memoy test programs, and end I realize that the processor is the cause of problem. I change the board and the memories, but When I use other Duron processor the test works well.

Therefore some on already saw it before? What can be the problem? Is there any BIOS configuratio to be made? Can I test the processor or de L1/L2 cache?

I don´t know what to do I am want to be sure before to buy another CPU.

Thanks.

Marcos ARino
 03/09/2006 12:25 AM

Author Icon
tazwegion

Another cause for errors can be the memory settings ie. CAS, latency, etc.

I recently purchased 2 DDR333 sticks (256Mb each) and they passed Memtest-86+ easily (2.5,3,3,7)... however when run together, I got multiple errors...

The answer was simply 'reseting' the values to 2.5,3,3,9... memory can be such a fussy thing eh?

-------------------------
 03/10/2006 08:22 AM

Author Icon
marcosarino

quote:

Originally posted by: tazwegion
Another cause for errors can be the memory settings ie. CAS, latency, etc.

I recently purchased 2 DDR333 sticks (256Mb each) and they passed Memtest-86+ easily (2.5,3,3,7)... however when run together, I got multiple errors...

The answer was simply 'reseting' the values to 2.5,3,3,9... memory can be such a fussy thing eh?

OK, I was avoiding to try this, but I will try.

Could be problems in L1 or L2 cache, or the memtest86 would point the error in L1/L2? It is memtest86
can know if the problem is in L1/L2 or in the sticks?

Thanks,

Marcos
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information