Topic Title: CPU fan problem
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/02/2007 06:57 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/08/2007 09:49 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
mtrupi

quote:

Originally posted by: gildardo
Oh, wow, that makes the fan's behavior even more puzzling

I hadn't mentioned which model of fan I was considering; it's the Masscool 5F263B1M3G (about US $7.50), though the 5F522B1M3CG (about US $15.00) also caught my eye, even if it's twice the price and a little heavier. Both seem quiet, and also their airflow seems pretty decent, by comparison to others. I found them doing a Google search on "cpu fan", the company I'm looking at is gogofan.com.

Thanks for the reply, mtrupi.

If you have a way, try running the fan off a different 12 volt connector rather than the mother board connector. Try a better power supply just for the fan. If the fan is going out on you it's behavior can change randomly so when you try something to narrow down the problem the change may have nothing to do with what you did.

Both Masscool fans look good. The more expensive one has better specs. The weight is fine, most of the mass will be near the cpu which helps. I am careful whenever moving a PC just just in case. I never bought from Gogofan but this is the Masscool card I have. The USB ports have an interference issue on some cases but otherwise it worked great with winXP and no driver install needed.
 03/08/2007 06:06 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

Just for grins, check the mainboards capacitors, if they are bulging, leaking or venting, then the voltages for several areas of the board may be messed up.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

03/08/2007 08:26 PM

Author Icon
gildardo

quote:

Originally posted by: MD Willington
Just for grins, check the mainboards capacitors, if they are bulging, leaking or venting, then the voltages for several areas of the board may be messed up.

Thanks for the heads up. I hope that's not the case, as it sounds a bit painful.

EDIT:

I rigged a 9 volt battery together with two 1.5 volt C-cells, in series to get 12 volts. I connected the fan to the batteries, and the fan sounds exactly the same as when I turn on the computer: the pitch tells me it's way too slow -- I have a good musical ear, so together with what ASUS PC-Probe has told me in the past, I can say the fan is running way below its usual 4900 rpm average -- no more than 3400 rpm at best.

I guess that with all the dust in my environment, the bearing(s) in the fan have just worn out. Oh, I also checked several of the capacitors on the MoBo (the ones physically closest to the fan's plug), and they look OK, as far as I can tell. By now, I am almost 100% certain that my problems are entirely because of the fan.

I still welcome any comments and recommendations, and I am very grateful for all the replies.
 03/09/2007 07:00 AM

Author Icon
mtrupi

quote:

Originally posted by: gildardo
I rigged a 9 volt battery together with two 1.5 volt C-cells, in series to get 12 volts.

Did you measure the voltage with the fan connected? Some batteries have high internal resistance and may not run a fan at full speed.
 03/09/2007 07:34 PM

Author Icon
gildardo

quote:

Originally posted by: mtrupi
Did you measure the voltage with the fan connected? Some batteries have high internal resistance and may not run a fan at full speed.

Dang, I forgot about that -- I was automatically assuming that the batteries' resistance was small compared to the fan, but I actually knew some batteries can have a significant resistances, like the 9 volt probably. Maybe I'll repeat the experiment -- this time using a voltmeter.
 04/02/2007 04:10 PM

Author Icon
Superdude688

that fan isnt 1lb. its probably just classified as 1lb shipping, since thats the lowest they will bother to tell you as far as shipping is concerned. for a little fan to be 1lb it would have to be made out of metal or something xD

and as for the lubricating the fan goes, KachiWachi was not specific enough apparently.... you need to unscrew the fan from the heatsink, and turn the fan over, and take the sticker off the backside of it. not the sticker on top of the fan. ive done this many times, and it usually helps for a little while depending on how bad the fan is. it made one of my fans go from 3700rpm to 3900rpm for like 2 days, then it went back down again. another fan rattled a lot, and it made it go away, but i have to still oil it almost every week because the bearing is shot and it just dries up over time.

but yes, it could be the power supply starting to weaken, it could be the motherboard starting to screw up..... but it could also just be the sensor in the fan. i desoldered the resistor from my stock fan so it went from like 3100rpm to 6000rpm. after about a week or two of that, it started reporting crazy speeds like 150000 rpm even tho thats not possible and it definately wasnt going any faster. just wore out the sensor i guess.

so try out a new fan and see where it gets ya. (and if u happen to have a multimeter or something, try seeing if you can measure the current comming out of your power supply).

- Dave

[edit: i didnt read the second page before i typed all that, but it still stands. also see if you can test your fan in a freinds computer and see if it does the same thing, that would be more reliable than some little batteries ]

-------------------------
*update*
CPU: Mobile Athlon 64 4000+ Newark core @ 3ghz (240*12.5)
Mobo: ASUS K8N (HT link @ 960mhz and good @ 1ghz+ also with 250*12)
RAM: 512mb DDR400 + 1GB DDR500 @ DDR460 (2.5-3-3-10 2T)
PSU: 350w nspire?

h4x to teh m4x.

Edited: 04/02/2007 at 04:13 PM by Superdude688
 04/11/2007 07:57 AM

Author Icon
ColdDarkParanoia

I have the same problem, yet im running a AMD xp 3200. (32 bit) i get the same tempertures are you and weird fluxuations. im using the standard fan and heat sink. the fans seems to only run at 3500 rpm. I have also just bought a new heat sink and fan which im going to install if this does stop. My cpu temp is at 63c atm. its nuts. however, im going to try increasing the speed of the fan using that core centre program. i didn't realise that the fans where suposed to run at 5000RPM, because i have never checked the speed of it when it was all working fine . I'll also try the opther things mentioned above. though there doesn't apear to be too much dust on it.

edit: Ok iv tried to up the cpu fan speed. but when ever i up the speed to above 3500 the core center starts flashing the CPU fan speed in red and a siran goes off. also it doesn't have any effect what so ever on the fan speen, it just stays are 3515 rpm...

i have no idea why its doing this

edit: ok 24hours later lol, iv take my computer to bits, and was trying to replace the heat sink on the CPU. could get the old one off! lol so i decided id have a go at cleaning the old one out. then iv put it back together and it seems to have solved the problem. the fan is now spinning at 4115 RPM and the CPU temp when idal is about 43c.

Edited: 04/12/2007 at 07:08 AM by ColdDarkParanoia
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information