AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: x 64 Raid0 Windows 7 drivers from AMD not signed.
Topic Summary: Spent one week on this on...
Created On: 10/09/2009 06:11 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/09/2009 06:11 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Sir AMD

Well, what can I say...
I´ve been in the softraid world for something like a decade now and never had an issue like this before...

The drivers that AMD provides isnt "signed" and I dont know who to really blame. M$ who is forcing the driver to be signed in this early installation procedure or AMD for releasing Windows 7 RAID driver unsigned... I mean... how hard can it be?

I mailed Gigabyte since my mother board is the GA-790X-UD4 with a 9950BE and 8 Gb of ram on it and their answer was not so "solving"...

Here is the mail:

I purchased 4 Hitachi Deskstar 1Tb each. Want to run them in RAID 0 on my motherboard. Everything works fine, I making two arrays as I want to (2x2 RAID 0). It is until I reach the harddisk section on the Windows 7 x64 installation CD the problem starts... It wont accept the driver which I have on an USB-stick, says it is "unsigned". I´ve populated all of my SATA, 4 Hitachi 1 TB, one Samsung 500Gb and the last one is another Hitachi at 320Gb. The drivers I tryed with is the ones on your download section but also the ones on AMD´s site, no one works. I am quite familiar with softraid since I been using it for years now but never experienced a problem like this before... Please send me any advice on how to proceed or maybe another driver.

Thank You.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Model Name : GA-MA790XT-UD4P(rev. 1.0) --------------------------
M/B Rev : 1.0 BIOS Ver : F5 Serial No. : Purchase Dealer : -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VGA Brand : Asus Model : N8800GT
CPU Brand : AMD Model : 9950BE Speed : 2600
Operation System : Windows 7 SP :
Memory Brand : Corsair Type : DDRII Memory Size : 8Gb Speed : 2000Mhz
Power Supply : 700W W

Their answer:

Hi
You can install the unsigned drivers anyway, it's only a warning. We don't have any newer drivers from AMD/ATI yet.
Best regards GIGABYTE-team Scandinavia

Yeah right, "a warning"... I wouldn´t mail them in the first place if I could ignore the "warning"...
So I mailed back...

Hi again.
I am not given the possibility to make a choice here, Windows 7 is telling me that the driver isn´t signed and that´s the end of the installation. No HDD-drives show´s up in the drivers window and therefor it is of course impossible to continue installation....
Hoping for a solution.

Waiting their answer again and until then I took the opportunity to write here... Is there SOMEBODY out there running Windows 7 x64 in RAID 0 and if so, How did you manage to install it?

Thanks in advance and excuse me if I sound angry, I´m just so frustrated, companies that make billions cant write a tiny 30kb file right...
 10/25/2009 09:11 PM

Author Icon
computerfarmer

This is the same problem I am having. Both Microsoft and AMD are responsible. Then there are the review sites, what happened, how come this info was not made available? How could this have been missed? I have an ASUS M3A78-T motherboard, where is ASUS on this?

This means, Personal and Businesses alike can not use RAID, this is a huge problem. Where are the review sites on this one?

Where is INTEL on this one?
 11/03/2009 08:19 AM

Author Icon
Warluck

I can assure you, this is not an AMD situation. I do have an Intel processor on a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 board and I am trying to install my system on RAID 1 disk and I have the exact same situation.

I just contacted the Gigabyte support but in the light of what you wrote there is not much to hope there.

If I may ask a question, Sir AMD, in you BIOS, how did you setup the RAID controller and the BUS controller? For myself, in the BIOS I have three options :

AHCI
IDE
RAID/IDE

My comprehension is that when I use the RAID controller my disks are considerd IDE and I wonder if my (our) lay right there?

I've tried Gigabyte RAID drivers and JMicron RAID drivers with the same result, "unsigned drivers are not supported for Windows Seven 64bits".

If you have found more detail or any solution, please follow up here, I will do the same.

Best Regards,
 11/04/2009 10:28 AM

Author Icon
Heffy
Case Modder

One solution I've read about:

You don't need the RAID drivers to install, just set your RAID array as the first boot device. NOT your optical drive.

Once it's installed, disable driver signature enforcement (tap F8 before Win7 starts and select corresponding option), if you need to install newer unsigned RAID drivers.

As to why they're not signed, my guess is it's because Win7 drivers are still more or less beta and, thus developers are reluctant loosing money and time signing their drivers at this stage.
 11/04/2009 10:33 AM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

I'm beginning to be very happy that I blundered in the way that I did.

I installed 7 from within Vista, a clean install, but from within vista.

However, I've been doing some reading on the situation, and I have updated my own drivers, and they installed as signed.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/jtgtjmmydjt/AMDChipset Drivers.zip
http://www.mediafire.com/?jtgtjmmydjt

Those are the extracted .exe driver packs. throw them on a thumbdrive and see what happens.

Anyway, if the above don't work, then Heffy is right, you can hit F8 on the install process as you would to get the bootloader, from there you can disable signing, but you have to repeat this process on each reboot cycle until Windows is installed, from there, you must disable driver signing in it's entirety until you find signed drivers.

As I mentioned, the drivers I uploaded above, are signed, or so that's how they install through a windows installation. the only unsigned drivers I have right now, are nVidia, because of the 191.07 death edition drivers, I'm using beta, and 7 lets you know when something is unsigned

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 11/07/2009 03:31 AM

Author Icon
bonz042

TYVM Immortal Lobster! Those worked!
I scoured the net for 2 days but couldn't find signed win7 drivers and the signed vista wouldn't work. Again, thank you!
 11/07/2009 05:24 AM

Author Icon
go_for
Alpha Geek

the only unsigned drivers I have right now, are nVidia, because of the 191.07 death edition drivers, I'm using beta, and 7 lets you know when something is unsigned

IL, I am trying to investigate whether SATA RAID-0 on a Nforce4 board will work or not if using Windows 7 64bit ?
I do not have the drives at hand, so trying to avoid extra work just to find out it does not work.

Afaik nv & MS has not come together on supporting SATA RAID on nf3&nf4 @Win7, this is just plain unfair, considering
AMD were 1st on the market providing x86-64 for the masses.

Edited: 11/07/2009 at 06:21 AM by go_for
 11/07/2009 11:01 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

Originally posted by: bonz042

TYVM Immortal Lobster! Those worked!

I scoured the net for 2 days but couldn't find signed win7 drivers and the signed vista wouldn't work. Again, thank you!

quite welcome

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 11/07/2009 11:02 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

Originally posted by: go_for

the only unsigned drivers I have right now, are nVidia, because of the 191.07 death edition drivers, I'm using beta, and 7 lets you know when something is unsigned

IL, I am trying to investigate whether SATA RAID-0 on a Nforce4 board will work or not if using Windows 7 64bit ?

I do not have the drives at hand, so trying to avoid extra work just to find out it does not work.

Afaik nv & MS has not come together on supporting SATA RAID on nf3&nf4 @Win7, this is just plain unfair, considering

AMD were 1st on the market providing x86-64 for the masses.

Not sure about 7, but it worked fine under Vista. sorry =\

11/09/2009 02:00 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

I had this same problem and the F8 did not work as well as the drivers link that you posted up here.....all was lost.

I did open up a command prompt and foud that the 64 bit drivers were indeed signed, so that was not this issue. It may have something to do with the Kernal size difference between the x86 and x64 bit drivers, I believe that I read something about that sometime in the wee hours of the morning.

I did note that this issue has been present for some time now and has affected Intel and AMD alike on serveral different MoBo manufacturers on Vista and Win 7 x64 bit OS's. That being said, it appears to be related to the x64 bit OS installer only. My theory is that the installer maybe running in a x86 environment, atleast until the x64 bit driver is loaded up and the installer is not able to recognized the file properly because the file is larger than a standard x86 driver file.....just my theory....feel free to tear it apart if you would like...I won't be offended.

Anyway, I got around it by choosing the x86 RAID driver unitl I get loaded up and booted into the OS for the first time, then I install the proper RAID driver first thing.

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information