Increase font size
Topic Title: Whats with the "+" symbol
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/22/2010 01:01 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/22/2010 01:01 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
aldistuck

I tried emailing AMD but once I got what seemed to be three auto responses I quit.

I've always wondered why alot of AMD CPU's get a "+" symbol attached to the end of the number like my CPU "3800+".

Does anyone know what that is all about?

Good day,
 02/22/2010 01:12 PM

Author Icon
slaveondope
Case Modder

It had to do with some way to scale cpu's back then. To compare amds to intels, use to be mhz was the stantard in comparing cpus but when amds at 2400mhz performed better or the same as the intel P4's at 3800mhz they labeled them as 3800+ in an effort to inform people that their cpu was yes "slower" in mhz but was actually faster or equal

-------------------------
More Advanced Micro Devices than Intel
 02/22/2010 01:18 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

Yep - If you can crank out more instructions per clock you can run slower.

Think of it like a 60 passenger school bus compared to a MV Agusta F41000 superbike.

Sure the bike can cruise super fast, but it can only get 1 or maybe 2 people to one place in the shortest amount of time (akin to 2 instructions)...

Now the bus may move a little slower but it does get 60 passengers (akin to 60 instructions) to the destination.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information