Increase font size
Topic Title: AMD Drivers - ¿Where?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/09/2010 08:38 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/09/2010 08:38 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
satnalon
Lurker

The driver downloads section of AMD is not too well-organized.

Why is it so hard to find drivers for the chipsets?

The other day I needed the drivers for a 600 series chipset and there was no way to find them. Finally I had to download drivers for a Gigabyte motherboard with chipset myself.

Now I need the drivers for a 890FX + SB850, and neither seems too simple.

With how well organized you are the subject of the NVIDIA driver downloads, is it so difficult to use a similar system?

In AMD's website is easy to find GPU drivers, but chipsets ...

Where do I download the latest drivers for 8 series chipset?

Greetings
 11/09/2010 09:30 AM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

You can find these drivers at your motherboard manufacturer site.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 11/09/2010 07:58 PM

Author Icon
satnalon
Lurker

Yes, I know. But as you know, some manufacturers fail to update the drivers on their websites, sometimes prematurely.
In cases like these, is very nice to have the drivers direct from the manufacturer of the chipset, as is the case of Intel, Nvidia, VIA, etc.
Is there such a possibility with AMD chipsets?

Would also be good to have drivers for Mobility GPU's generic, as in the case of Nvidia, because, as happens with the chipsets, manufacturers of equipment often do not update drivers, if a major problem. A detail that a consumer can opt for other available alternative to that option.

In short, I understand that manufacturers of notebooks and motherboards make specific drivers, but it would be wonderful if AMD made available to the user a generic drivers, even warning that it is best to resort to the equipment manufacturer.

Greetings and thanks
 11/09/2010 10:35 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

I always get my motherboard drivers from the manufacturer....they have never steered me wrong yet. But, good luck in your endeavors.....I think that you are making things a lot harder than they need to be TBH.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 11/10/2010 08:56 AM

Author Icon
satnalon
Lurker

I'll give you an example. My brother has a Toshiba Satellite A200 laptop equipped with an ATI Mobility Radeon x1400.
Since its release in 2007, Toshiba does not update the graphics drivers, and I had to manually modify the setup INF files to install a recent version of Catalyst (because some games failed with the original drivers).
Here a clear example of the problem I mention.

The funny thing is that these limitations (in case of Mobility) are "artificial" because, as I say, simply a change in the driver installation files allow installation on any computer (you can also use the Omega Drivers, which are already modified).

I understand what you say, but I think it would not hurt to have this other option, besides being extremely easy for the manufacturer (AMD).
I guess this will be due to trade agreements.

By the way, sorry for my English

Greetings
 11/12/2010 06:35 AM

Author Icon
sswilson
Fanboi

Motherboard / Chipset drivers are bundled with the cat drivers.

Or you can go here..... AMD Drivers and use the individual downloads and/or optional downloads.
 12/26/2010 08:01 PM

Author Icon
bnborg
Driod

Originally posted by: Canis-X

You can find these drivers at your motherboard manufacturer site.

You're a lot of help.

There are several reasons why one might want to try a different driver than the one(s) provided by the mb manufacturer.

AMD doesn't seem to want people to know that chipset drivers are with the graphics drivers. I think this is a holdover from when AMD and ATI were different companies.

Two each: Phenom II x6 1090T on MSI 870A-G-54 with 16 GB DDR3 and Windows Server 2008 R2 x64

Two each: Asroch E350M1 with 8 GB DDR2

Athlon II x4 630 on Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 with 16 GB DDR3 and Windows 7 x64
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information