Increase font size
Topic Title: AMD's Turbo Core.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/10/2011 09:35 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/10/2011 09:35 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
carlos15
Lurker

I've read a little about intel's advances in shut down switch on technology called Turbo boost, which AMD has already integrated into its chip set. I don't agree with this model of core usage. It reminds me too much of traffic lights turning on and off at an intersection. Rather I prefer moving the volume switch up or down across the core grid....... Take for example, you have a quad core setup. Now I would allow the OS or hardware components to decide how much processing power is required. I don't know which is the best option. For this model I'm talking about keeping all the cores working in unison like a block but that during times of idleness that the power, voltage or amperage or whatever be droped down equivalent to processing demand but obviously increased, still across all cores. In other words, all you'd be doing is using a sliding scale, up for more, down for less, across all cores at once. Another added feature could be to regulate the speed as well, so in reality the system or components would be regulating themselves. So you'd be looking at all cores operating at once within varying speeds, amperages or volts depending on the demand the system puts on them. I think this way is better suited to the individual laden architecture of AMD, since a lot of software has not fully embrased multicore technology, rather than regulating individual cores as intel seems to have done. Tell me what you think.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information