Increase font size
Topic Title: AMD 785e/K10 chipset driver problem
Topic Summary: Need help or advice on how to report this
Created On: 08/11/2011 02:58 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/11/2011 02:58 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ubermik
Lurker

I have a motherboard with a 785e chipset in a machine I wanted to use as a headless file server.

As such it will be on 24/7 so I wanted to be able to monitor the hardware and be alerted about overheating problems as well as having the machine shut down should a problem arrive

The machine with a clean install of XPSP3 and Aida64 can see the following sensors

Memory temp
CPU temp
Core1 temp
Core2 temp
Motherboard temp
HDD 1-4 temp
and fan speeds

But as soon as the chipset, SMBus and videocard (radeon4200) are installed no utilities I have tried can read the hard drive temperatures

There only appears to be one set of drivers for this chipset too, so my choices are klind of limited

Obviously the sensors are there, and you would kind of expect the SMBus driver to give you more sensors to display not fewer

any help, or a link of where this should be reported to as I couldnt find anything that seemed to fit the bill on the website would be appreciated

Cheers

Mike

-------------------------
Even when you are in a minority of 1, the truth is still the truth
 08/11/2011 03:38 PM

Author Icon
go_for
Alpha Geek

Did you try CrystalDiskInfo ?

08/12/2011 06:24 PM

Author Icon
ubermik
Lurker

I hadnt, but it has the same result as everything else

I dont think for a second that its a fault of the software. Infact from what I have seen Aida64 seems to be one of the best around and has consistently picked up sensors that other software has missed

The problem is that once the drivers are installed the sensors for the hard drives effectively vanish from the system I/O map so softare (as does crystal disk) simply says there are no smart compatible hard drives and no hard drive temperature sensors in the system

Before the drivers are installed in XP, and with a clean windows 7 install however the sensors are picked up without a hitch by every piece of software I've tried

So for whatever reason the drivers appear to be disabling the sensors or possibly remap some other piece of hardware to the same address making it seem like they have been disabled

08/12/2011 07:32 PM

Author Icon
QB the Slayer
Case Modder

These drives aren't under RAID are they? No software will be able to read HDD temps through the RAID. Try SpeedFan if yo are not under RAID.

QB

The MONSTER HTPC

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 C2 (140W).||.Cooler: Corsair H80i
MB: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7.||.RAM: 8 GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2000MHz (7-10-8-27-1T)
Case: CoolerMaster HAF 932.||.PSU: Corsair HX750
GPU:HIS IceQ 5 Radeon HD 5770 Turbo 1GB.||.Audio: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro w/ Logitech Z-5300e (5.1, 280W-RMS)
Drive: 2xKingston SSD 40GB RAID0.||.Storage: 6TB (4x500GB Caviar Black RAID0, 2TB Hitachi & 2TB Caviar Green)
 08/12/2011 08:00 PM

Author Icon
ubermik
Lurker

Nah, the chipset has inbuilt raid 1/0 capability, but the drives are running under AHCI

But as I said earlier, the HDD temps are all found without any problems by pretty much any software right up until the drivers are installed. After which any and all software isnt even able to see the sensors are included in the chipset let alone actually read the drive data

So between being able to read the data and not being able to read it the absolute only change made to the system is installing the chipset (including SMBus) drivers

If I then reapply the clean ghost image (no drivers) software can read the HDD temps and SMART drive info again

The same is true for over half a dozen different makes and models of drives btw just to rule out somebody suggesting its a compatibility issue with the drives themselves. Although that also cant be the case as the sensor data can be read before the chipset drivers are installed for all drives I have tried in the machine

08/18/2011 08:12 AM

Author Icon
go_for
Alpha Geek

Try over here :

AMD customer inquiry

Put as much relevant info you think it is needed for them to proceed with the issue.

I guess you have confirmed that S.M.A.R.T. is enabled by default in BIOS?

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information