My hardware setup is a MCE with 2 x ATI Radeon HD 4550. I have
#1 - 52" Sony LCD connected via HDMI, and
#2 - a ViewSonic flat panel connected via DVI - this is the primary monitor.
The current drivers (11.7, and 11.6) when used in Extend Mode, force my large TV (#1) to show a black screen instead of the correct display. #2 (my primary monitor) works normally. I can force the desktop to show either on #1 or #2 separately and everything works fine. But in Extend Mode it appears that no signal is sent to #1 at all (TV shows signal status rather than a black screen).
Note - on Boot, as well as when desktop is forced to monitor #1 only, #1 works perfectly. So something about Windows or the drivers is killing this.
Approx 2 months ago this was working fine. Unsure what has changed.
- in the same timeframe, I re-installed Windows 7 as a x64 install; previously I used x32 (with much older CCC) and everything worked fine.
- I have tried re-installing Win7 x64 (back to SP1) and turned off all AutoUpdates - no change
- Uninstalled UltraMon (an app to to switch apps between screens)
- Tried CCC 11.6 and 11.7 - no change.
- have played with refresh rates - no change
General usage is #2 is on the kitchen bench for email web etc, and #1 is used for watching TV and Recorded TV. #1 is mostly turned off.
Fixed the problem. There is a bug in CCC 11.1 thru 11.7. Where can I submit this bug? I have searched the site multiple times but everything points back to a driver download.
I downgraded the CCC to 10.11 (not 10.12 as it has a Preview of the new GUI which I believe is related to the problem).
I then followed my original 'fixup' instructions below which I use whenever MS screws things up.
1. Right click on desktop
2. choose Catalyst Control Center
3. Select basic mode, NEXT>
4. Click "Setup my display configuration", Go>
5. Set main display->Sony TV
secondary display->va926, Next>
6. Choose Extended Desktop, Next>
7. Set Sony TV to 1920x1080,
set viewsonic va926 to 1280x1024, next>
8. drag the syncmaster (smaller, flatter) to the
left of the main monitor if not there already,
9. Screen will flicker
1. right click desktop, choose Personalize
2. choose display settings
3. select the va926 (smaller monitor) and
check 'this is my main monitor'.
4. click ok.