AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: MSI 760GM-E51 no AMD 760G on install disk plus other weird things happening
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/28/2011 04:37 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/28/2011 04:37 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
willythecat
Lurker

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, or even the wrong site for that matter, but l'm desperate for ANY advice.
Had a shop build me a tower pc last year with the following specs -
MSI 760GM-E51 mobo, AMD Sempron 140 single core (2.7GHz), and 4 x 1gb ram.
All was fine until 2 weeks ago when my screen just said no signal? The shop insisted that the integrated graphics card on the mobo had gone and they started installing gigabyte mobos, GE Force graphics cards, and all kinds of drivers under the sun, but the same thing was happening.
I then got them to order me another MSI 760GM-E51 card, and from their oversight, they've actually installed an AMD Athlon II X2 250 dual core (3.0GHz) processor (which they were using on a gigabyte mobo).
The MSI manual says that the board can take this, so it's tough luck to them, sorry to say.
Got SO fed up that l've taken the computer back and whilst it's sort of working, now keep getting error messages on startup about new hardware. If l ignore them, doesn't seem to make any difference but l'm really confused with all these different driver names. (ATI, AMD, Nvidia, Radeon, VGA graphics etc etc.)
So, no AMD graphics driver is installed or the AMD driver is not functioning properly. (its the AMD 760G).
ATI Radeon 3000 graphics - an error occurred during the installation of the device.
I've checked the install disk supplied with the mobo and neither of these are found on there.
If l go into Control Panel, their are entries for AMD Catalyst Install Manager, Nvidia Control Panel, and Nvidianview, none of which work.
If l go into device manager, under display adapters it says video controller (vga compatible) with a yellow ! next to it.
If l expand on it, it says location PCI bus1, device 5, function 0. The device is not configured correctly (code 1).
Cannot reinstall the driver as the same error occurs.
Any help with anything please.
Regards
 08/28/2011 05:18 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

If you are not using the integrated graphics on the motherboard, then you should go into the BIOS and disable it so that the OS will not want to install drivers for it. Once you have done that nVidia CP should work fine again.

TBH though, with all of the hardware changes that you have made, you should format and reinstall your OS clean.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 08/28/2011 06:54 PM

Author Icon
willythecat
Lurker

Thank you Canis, all replies greatly appreciated. (perhaps under my username it should read "absolute dummy" rather than lurker, so you now see my situation - l'm a real newbie to all of this).
Just to point out though, it was the shop doing all the changes in their infinite wisdom, and what a pigs ear they seem to have made of it.
NB - I don't have a graphics card, so l am using the integrated graphics within the motherboard itself.
You may be right in a clean install (***** and blast it), but l do like to try and understand the principles first rather than take the easy way out.
Hey, l managed to get the AMD Catalyst Install Manager to work.
Did an express install and it says that l have a Radeon 3000 graphics card. So far so good.
It then failed on the AMD display driver though, saying -
Final Status - failed
Version of item - 8.881.0.0000
Size - 40 Mbytes
Driver install - a supplied parameter is not valid
I then found and downloaded a nifty little program called CPUID CPU-Z
When l checked on the mainboard tab, it says that l have a chipset of AMD 780G and Southbridge AMD SB700.
So why then when l power up each time, it comes up with new hardware found, tries to install Radeon 3000 and AMD 760G, and fails in each instance?
Is there away of removing these messages as they seem somewhat superfluous as the computer still seems to work fine, for now anyway.
Regards
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information