AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Which drivers support TRIM in Windows / in Linux for chipset AMD SB710
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/28/2012 07:56 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/28/2012 07:56 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
branstetter
Lurker

Hello,

I've got a PC with this Asus motherboard which I believe uses AMD SB710 chipset.

Recently I bought this SSD on which I would like to install a multiboot Windows 7 / Ubuntu / Debian and I would like to know which drivers for my chipset support TRIM in Windows and in Linux.

In windows 7 I read that you had to use MS AHCI drivers not AMD AHCI, is it still true ?

And what about Linux ? For example if I use Debian Squeeze with a recent kernel (so that the kernel supports TRIM) do you know by any chance if there are drivers that support TRIM and that I could use ?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
 02/28/2012 09:07 AM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

Not true, you can use AMD's AHCI drivers with Win 7. Not sure about Linux though, sorry.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 02/28/2012 09:20 AM

Author Icon
branstetter
Lurker

Thank you very much for your answer.

For Windows I thought AMD's drivers would not support TRIM for my chipset because of what I read on some forums, for example on this forum I found this link in which a technician writes :

We do support TRIM but only on our newer SB8xx and above chipsets using drivers -
1.2.1.263 or newer from our website.

Unfortunately my chipset is older than SB8xx.
But the message is quite old now so maybe it has changed. Do you mean that now there are AMD's drivers that support TRIM even for my rather old chipset ?

For Debian I asked on a linux forum and I've been told that the drivers were built into the kernel so I should be okay as long as I use a recent one.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information