Increase font size
Topic Title: networking issue
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/08/2008 09:06 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/08/2008 09:06 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
kritical

hey all i have recently got cable internet hooked up with bigpond. the modem is on the other side of the house and therefore im getting VERY slow iinternet speeds as its a wireless modem, now i have hooked up a crossover cable from the telstra modem to my room and have hooked it up to another netgear wireless router, however im unable to connect to the internet, from the second router, i have no idea why. The telstra modem has a encryption key but i doubt that matters, becuase its only for connecting directly to it from wireless devices. since im using a cable hooked up to another modem, shouldnt the modem in my room aquire the IP addresses and dns and everything by itself?

both modems are netgear modems, any help would be greatly appreciated.
 11/09/2008 02:40 AM

Author Icon
geezer_wheelz
Elite

Why are you using a crossover cable?
Use a straight through cable, that will work then.

-------------------------
Asus M4A79 Deluxe, Phenom II 940 BE, 20,770 3D06

Asus Moderator ~ My CPU Overheating Guide
 11/19/2009 01:06 AM

Author Icon
Overmind
Assimilator

In a router to router connection, a crossover cable must be used. However, all things today have auto detection so it won't matter.

daniela27, you will have to properly configure the second router. You can't expect for everything to work by default.
You will have to see what IP pool the first one gives and then configure the LAN/WLAN segment of the second one with another IP class and proper DNS settings (often DNSs do not propagate through the second router).

-------------------------

World's best Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge mod and Star Trek: Starfleet Command 3 mod: Overmind.ro
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information