AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Vista file sharing problem
Topic Summary: Works one second, causes all kinds of problems the next!
Created On: 03/18/2009 01:14 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/18/2009 01:14 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
dabob79
Deprecated

Ok, here's the issue. I've got my desktop computer (custom rig), my wife's laptop, and my PS3 all on my home network, connected through a linksys router. I've got media sharing setup on the desktop, and the PS3 has no problems reading my music or videos from it. I've got file sharing enabled on both computers, and the Pictures, Videos, and Music folders shared on both computers. Permissions are set on all folders to allow everyone Full Control access. Password Protected sharing is turned off, and both computers are set to "Private Network" on Network type. Here's the issue.

I can access the shared folders on my wife's laptop from my desktop with no problems, anytime. But, when my wife tries to access files on the desktop, which is where all our music and pictures are saved, we keep having problems. Her computer "sees" mine, and it shows the shared folders on my computer. One second, she'll be able to get in and copy a file or open a picture or whatever. But, all of the sudden it will quite working, and further attempts to access any of the shared folders results in her computer locking up. Then, when I get on the desktop and try to look at the Share settings or do anything, it starts locking up and acting crazy until I reboot. Her laptop never loses connection with the network, so it's not a wireless or LAN problem. My PS3 has no problems with the media server, so again not a LAN or network problem. This has to be somthing with the file sharing on my computer, but why is mine acting up and hers is normal? I'm running Home Premium 64, and her laptop has Home Premium 32.

Any takers? Thanks!

Bob

-------------------------
Phenom II X2 555 B.E. Unlocked to X4 @ 3.4GHz
ASUS M4A887-M/USB 3 Micro ATX MB
8GB G.Skill Ripjaws @1600Mhz, 7-7-7-21
Radeon HD 5570 1GB 128-bit DDR3 Graphics Card
Crucial 64GB SATA III SSD
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular PS
Silverstone HTPC Case
 03/18/2009 09:41 PM

Author Icon
Two7Buckeye

Boy Id really like to know myself. Im having the same issues as well as trying the same settings. My wife can see and access my pc, but I cant see any of her's. I see her on the network, however Im not able to view her pc or files. Eeverything is set up correctly, and as stated above. Very odd.

Phenom II 955
Cooler Master V8
ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe 790FX
2 x Sapphire 4870 1GB GDDR5
4GB GSkill Pi Black 1066
2 x 74GB WD Raptor 16mb RAID-0
640GB WD Caviar Black 32mb
Cooler Master HAF 932
Antec Quattro 850w
 11/18/2009 12:28 PM

Author Icon
lerrry

I also never experienced anything like that, but suddenly could self again without the fix.

http://share-free-tutorial.blogspot.com
http://lerry060183.wordpress.com
http://casablanka.wordpress.com
 11/19/2009 01:11 AM

Author Icon
Overmind
Assimilator

Default share folders in vista are a fail.
Just enable password-protected sharing and share any folder as read-only. Then you will access them with user/pass and everything should work.

World's best Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge mod and Star Trek: Starfleet Command 3 mod: Overmind.ro
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information