Increase font size
Topic Title: Merging two networks with different IP ranges
Topic Summary: both has it's own ISP
Created On: 10/04/2009 01:11 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/04/2009 01:11 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Xajel
Case Modder

Hello every body...

at home we have two seperated networks, each network is connected to the internet using different ISP.. lets name the networks by thier ISP names

1- Batelco - IP range 192.168.1.x
2- Menatelecom - IP range 192.168.15.x

for some reason the Menatelcom IP can't be changed ( it based on WiMAX service, and the WiMAX device is password protected and they don't allow any body to touch it so nobody will play with all these numbers and settings )

so is there's a way to connect these two networks so all we can share resources like NAS, servers, internet and do some local gaming too ?

I heard something about a router/mobo with two network ports and supports teaming or some expensive stuff ( gateway IIRC ) but I am a noop in networking so don't take me serious with these things !!
 10/06/2009 10:55 PM

Author Icon
Deiphage

well with a cisco router you could simply program in a manual route into the routing table so that any com from 192.168.1.x going to any computer on the other network would just pass right through and the same for the opposite but i doubt you have a few thousand dollars laying around as well as detailed knowledge of the cisco ios however there is always trying a hub first a non powered hub or a powered hub(smart hub) if that doesnt work a device hub might or even a bridge just a few

orrrrr you could just contact your isp and have them add a manual route into the routing table so communication between the two exists and you have to do nothing else

-------------------------
"dabado"
AMD Phenom 9500 2.2GHz stock
4GB Corsair 800 at 4-4-4-12
Asus m3n78-vm
no video card yet of course i still need to update my mobo first
865 watt power supply
supermicro sc743 case
 10/06/2009 11:57 PM

Author Icon
Xajel
Case Modder

Yeah I heard of that few-thousand solution...

but I also heard about two solutions...

1- having a mobo with two gigabit lan port that support teaming, then connect both ISP's directly to this mobo, add another wireless or gigabit NIC and then output one network and set both ISP's to share the internet connection...
2- talk to Mentatelcom ( IP range 192.168.15.x ) and ask them for password or bring the WiMAX device to them.. change the IP range to 192.168.1.x and set the device IP to something that doesn't conflict with the router, and disable DHCP too.. so the router will be the DHCP..

personally I feel the second one won't work, but the first one might work
 10/07/2009 12:31 AM

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

Yeah I think the first one just might. I'm not that much of a wiremonkey either, but it sounds like the setup I had when I ran a folding farm. All the terminals got their connections from the server and the server passed on their requests to the router. The only extra thing I needed was IP and DNS forwarding on the server, but maybe that's what you mean by teaming.

Containment Breach

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
 10/07/2009 09:32 AM

Author Icon
Overmind
Assimilator

What subnet masks are the two networks using ?
If it's 255.255.0.0. for both things could be done a lot easier.

World's best Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge mod and Star Trek: Starfleet Command 3 mod: Overmind.ro
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information