Increase font size
Topic Title: Comcast tech didn't do his job
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/20/2010 11:46 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/20/2010 11:46 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Northbridge
Fanboi

So, I wanted a drop installed in my basement. The Comcast idiot simply feed the coax cable through the ceiling and it's hanging over my workbench.

Now, outside of making a call to Comcast and missing another day of work, are there any relatively cheap solutions to this? Something to simply plug the coax into which, in turn, provides some ethernet outputs?
 06/20/2010 05:26 PM

Author Icon
slaveondope
Case Modder

Im trying to understand what your wanting to accomplish.

Is it that you already have icable internet in the house in another location and want to connect another pc in the basement?

If so you would of course need to have a router already in place at the original internet modem and run the ethernet cable from point A to B.

If not that you would require another modem for the basement location which should be provided by Comcast.

-------------------------
More Advanced Micro Devices than Intel
 06/20/2010 07:57 PM

Author Icon
Northbridge
Fanboi

I basically just wanted him to install a drop. Through which I would run a switch.

I suppose I could just break out my LAN textbook from school a few years ago and re-learn how to make the drop myself. Or buy some ethernet-over-coax box.

Either way, Comcast sucks.
 06/22/2010 01:14 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

Sounds like they just stuck a chunk of RG6 through the opening, not any good unless you have a bridge like a Motorola SB5100 / SB5101 SURFboard 5100 DOCSIS 2.0 cable modem to connect the coax into.

And by "drop" they probably though you meant a chunk of RG6 for a TV, not computer.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

07/04/2010 03:40 PM

Author Icon
global365
Lurker

Hey Northbridge,

I feel your pain, same experience with comcast on my end. The dude ( and I mean Duuuude ) came in and I had to install the router software for him cause he couldn't? Unbelievable, I dont want to stereotype but I swear he went out to smoke a doobie when I was installing, lol, cant be that hard to find quality installers can it?

I second that COMCAST SUCKS
 07/05/2010 02:42 AM

Author Icon
Overmind
Assimilator

I third that.
Their filtering s**ks.

World's best Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge mod and Star Trek: Starfleet Command 3 mod: Overmind.ro
 08/11/2010 03:42 PM

Author Icon
Northbridge
Fanboi

Well, just got back from Comcast after getting a second modem for the basement. Hooked it up, hooed a machine to it and nothing.

Called them on the phone, told them I have two modems etc etc, they couldn't figure it out.

Broght the little Ubee modem back to the Comcast center where I was then told I can only have one modem in the house, not two.

I personally don't know how to make a nice neat drop into a concrete wall, so unless I find 100 feet of ethernet cable and somehow manage to get to from my router upstairs to my a computer in the basement, I'm SOL?
 09/24/2010 01:11 PM

Author Icon
go_for
Alpha Geek

bump.
How did it go? Did you solve the basement ethernet connection?

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information