Increase font size
Topic Title: Whats the diff..?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/17/2004 05:53 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/17/2004 05:53 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
GhostSix

this is probably a noob question but whats the diff between a hub and router.will one work better than the other.I,am running my two computers on a hub right now but i also have a router laying around,I was going to use my second computer as a game server,so what would it be better on the hub or the router..?
 11/17/2004 08:56 AM

Author Icon
voodoo3300

I think you are bit confused here..

To connect computers within the same network you use a hub or a switch, of which the switch is faster. This is due to the fact that the switch directs data packets to the appropriatte mac address unlike a hub which broadcasts all data to the network. A hub also lacks a processor to transfer data more intelligently or a cache memory which helps to aviod collisions.

A router on the other hand switches data between two network subnets.. in other two words to different networks. For example a router is used on my network to switch incoming data from the internet on the subnet 255.0.0.0 to my internal subnet of 255.255.255.0. Routers can also adapt a protocol of data transmission to suit different networks.

Jake

PS Any more help required, email me!

-------------------------
Main:
AMD Athlon 2600+ 333Mhz Thoroughbred | 512Mb in 2x 256Mb DaneElec DDR PC2700 | XFX NF2S-ALH with nForce 2 400Pro | Asus GeForce FX5200 128Mb Magic! | Creative 5.1! Live! | Maxtor DM+9 80Gb and Maxtor DM+8 20Gb | LiteON 832S DVD+-R/RW Dual Layer 8x | LiteOn 48x12x48x CD-RW | Full Black server case with 500W PSU | Relisys 17" Monitor | Wireless Optical Mouse | Logitech Surfer | XP Professional SP1

Server: Intel (Oh no!) 2x Pent
 11/17/2004 10:56 AM

Author Icon
Takezo_dono

What you need is to take some basic networking courses. Because if you are going to get in all that home networking stuff, then it would be benificial and a great learning experiance.

I myself was clueless about networking before my Networking courses. After taking Cisco 1 and 2, 3 and 4 a couple of years ago. I have retained enough knowledge to make any small network work. Just don't ask me to configure a cisco router before letting me reveiw a little bit first.
 11/17/2004 03:02 PM

Author Icon
GhostSix

well i know my modem connects to this hub with the ethernet cable then from there two of them cables goes to each computer ,the hub is a netgear model EN 104tp.The other device i have laying around is a Linksys wireless-B Broadband router model number BEFW11S4, it does say router on the box,so thats why i ask the question about the hub and router and which one is better for me.ummm i dont use the linksys "router" because the installation cd rom is scratched so i cant install the program it comes with on my computer,maybe someone out there can help with that to like burn me a copy of the cd rom that comes with the linksys..? so i can use it ...anyway thanx for the replies.
 12/07/2004 11:45 PM

Author Icon
kratasek

if you just want to use one computer as a game server, you don't need a router. The hub provides necessary connectivity.

In case you want to play around with the router anyway, all Linksys routers have IP address of 192.168.1.1 and password should be "admin". I suggest downloading or using your manual though

-------------------------
ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe
AMD XP3200+ Barton FSB400 cooled by THERMALTAKE SilentBoost
512MB DDR3200 Dual Channel mode
80GB Seagate U series IDE hard drive
ASUS Nvidia GeForce FX5700 256MB RAM
Aopen DVD+CDRW combo
400Watt PSU 20A on +12V
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information