Increase font size
Topic Title: Wireless Networking?!
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/20/2004 11:04 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/20/2004 11:04 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Porky

Hi guys,

I know this is a processor forum but the people in here seem both friendly and knowledgeable. I wonder if anyone could give me some advice on (the basics of) Wireless Networking as I am looking to buy some equipment soon.

As this isnt the topic of this forum Im prepared for someone to contact me via private messaging, email or MSN (the address for the latter two is below):

diamondgeezer80@hotmail.com

Sorry for drifting off topic,

Porky
 05/27/2004 01:34 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
singularity2006

What kind of network do u want to run? Networking just between systems, or networking between systems while sharing and internet connection? Assuming ur using the latter, I would recommend buying a wireless router (support a/g/b is up to u depending on what speeds u require). The router, while connected to your DSL or cable modem, will automatically setup your settings usually and divide the internet line among the systems u have in the network (of course, that is a simplified notion, but it's the general idea). Then when things are said and done, connect your various PC's and such via wireless NIC's and configure them accordingly. Most of the hardware these days is quite user friendly so setting up the most basic network with no encryption and full DHCP support is easy. What gets intersting is setting up encryption and MAC address assignments, but that's not too bad either if u just follow the steps.

-------------------------
Best Regards,
Chuck - Freelancer
============
Join my LifeSaverXP UD Cancer Research Team' ">http://www.grid.org/services/t...4673-8D95-938AA24CBEC4 and make a difference, not just another donation.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information