Increase font size
Topic Title: Problem with Wired Network and Linksys BEFW11S4
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/18/2004 07:50 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/18/2004 07:50 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Spitfire

Hey everyone. I'm new to this forum, so please be gentle.

On to the problem. I used to have a wireless network, but the number of wireless networks in my neighborhood shot up, and hence my network refused to work on any channel due to interference. As a result, i decided to make the switch to wired using my existing router, a Linksys BEFW11S4 with the latest firmware.

I have the network set up physically as we speak, and i have internet on both of the networked computers. Also, the router recognizes both the computers as being connected under the DHCP server area, and both computers have the proper, assigned IP addresses. The problem is, the computers cannot communicate with each other. When i try to ping from one computer to the other in the cmd prompt, the request times out.

I've tried various combinations of manually and automatically configured TCP/IP configurations in windows and on the router, to no avail. I do know my way around the TCP/IP and the router properties, so i can implement anything you guys suggest, but i just can't find a combination that works.

Is there anyone out there with some network expertise that can help me? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

-------------------------
System specs: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ @ 2.25 GHz, ABIT AV8, Western Digital 74gig Raptor, 2x512 Corsair XMS DDR 400, Radeon 9800 Pro at 387/365, Enermax EG465P-VE(FC)
 09/21/2004 06:52 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
infiltrator
Linux Ninja

What operating system is running on the PC's? It's either that something is configured on the PC's like Windows XP Sp2 or the router itself has some sort of access-list that is stopping certain ports. Check your router configuration to see if there are any rules denying ICMP and ICMP echo. I know SP2 stops ICMP and ICMP echo by default. (A good thing tbh but annoying for troubleshooting).

Try running 'ARP -A' and see if you see the MAC addresses of the other computers/switches. Also try 'NBTSTAT -A XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX' see if you can see anything there.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information