Increase font size
Topic Title: xbox LAN
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/29/2004 08:05 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/29/2004 08:05 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Mag89

I have 2 d-link DI-604 routers, 1 WAN port each and 4 ethernet ports each, 1 netgear 16 port 10/100 hub with uplink and a netgear 5 port gigabit switch. and about 14 ethernet cords all CAT 5e or CAT 6. at least 4 xboxs are going to be networked together. What would be the most effiecent way of networking the xboxs using what i have? As of right now we just plug the xboxs into the switch.
 10/03/2004 02:43 AM

Author Icon
bvchurch

I would use the Router. Switch would be second choice, stay away from Hub though.

The reason why a router is because a router actually sends the signal where its supposed to go to, less dropped packets
 10/10/2004 11:49 AM

Author Icon
Takezo_dono

The way you got it now. All internet shareing routers have a switch on the back. That is the 4 ports. This is why opening ports on the router for devices connectd through the switch is retarded since you are on the same network (trust, me there are alot of people who do) . Only when devices that are coming through the Wan port (like internet gaming, where you create a game and other connect to you) would you need to open ports if they are not open already.

But a hub will be just as good. You will not know the diffrence unless you have 10 or more computers or Xboxes on a hub.

Infact, there is a kit called the Xbox Lan party which is just a small 4 port HUB and 4 patch cables included. This kit is so easy, even a complete idiot can use it. Just plug everything in and your done.
 10/22/2004 12:54 PM

Author Icon
Mincemeat

Just plug the Xboxes into the switch. You dont need a router, because no internet connection is being shared. Stay away from Hubs, they cause data collisions and are unreliable. Ive used switches at all the XBox LANs ive helped organize and have had no problems.

-------------------------
' ">http://profile.xfire.com/minc3d
 10/24/2004 07:48 PM

Author Icon
bvchurch

Actually in this time period I went to a switch for my xboxes, then I went back to a router. I felt the router just delivered the signal better.
Switch was a Linksys 5 Port
Router a Speedstream 2614
 10/26/2004 11:40 PM

Author Icon
Mincemeat

Id like to know hoiw you possibly tested the signal quality on your router and switch Sounds like an opinionated statement but I wont hold it against you.

-------------------------
' ">http://profile.xfire.com/minc3d
 10/31/2004 04:54 AM

Author Icon
Takezo_dono

The 4 ports on a retail wirless routers such as one made by linksys is a switch.

The wan port is the only interface that is on the opposite side of a basic internet sharing router. Unless you go a high end multi port router from Cisco which you would not have since they cost hundreds of dollars. linsys is a smal part of cisco that deliver Small Home/ Office networking solutions. Like those internet sharing routers. The 4 ports are NOT a part of the actual router, but an ethernet switch connected to a two interface router, in one mainboard.

So if you think you are getting better performance on these routers than switches, you are mistaken.

To demistify hubs, the only reason why switches are faster is because the fact that it is a layer 2 device. It reads the source and destination mac address of a packet and sends it out to the right port, where as a hub sends the packet out of all ports, causing more traffic. The point is that 4 Computers or Xboxes connected to a hub will not cause that much trafic to begin with.

Of course you may beleive what you want, but I garantee that you will not be able to tell the difference of a 4 Xboxes on a hub or a Switch.

I my self had worked on 16 Computers hooked to a 16 - port 10mbps (super old) hub when I interned at my college as an IT Help Desk Tech, it was not as slow as you may think.

100mbps of raw bandwidth would be way more than enogh to compensate for the extra traffic of 4 Xboxes.

that is why I recomment the Xbox lan party kit, because it comes with every thing you need. Plus the ease of setup.
 11/03/2004 12:29 AM

Author Icon
bvchurch

My statement is oppioinated. But I also know that at my workplace, a ISP in the NOrthwest US we only have Routers, no switches/hubs.

I dont dare say that a lan with a switch is bad, if you are not connected to the internet. Personally I feel that a router provides better security when you are connect.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information