Increase font size
Topic Title: WLAN monitoring software
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/12/2004 11:10 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/12/2004 11:10 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Fallen Phoenix

Is there anything out there to help with wardriving or just to see who is accessing your wireless network? I'd like to keep my home wireless network open for the neighborhood but I'd also like to be able to restrict usage. I'd also like to use this on my laptop just to monitor what goes in and out of it at school.

EDIT: my title is wrong
 10/12/2004 11:23 AM

Author Icon
Greyhound

Moved to Networking section & fixed title

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

<center><font color=red>MODERATOR</center></font>

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W :: Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe :: 2x1024MB Muskin XP2-6400 DDR2-800 :: BeQuiet! Darkpower Pro 530W :: 2x WD Raptor 74GB/10k rpm, RAID 0 :: ATI Radeon X1950XTX
 10/12/2004 11:28 PM

Author Icon
TCI

I don't know much about WLAN monitoring software, but I have my Netgear wireless router and I know a little basic set up

- Change default username and password to log on router
- Change default Wireless network name (SSID)
- Check off allow Broadcast of name (SSID)
- Config Wireless card access list
- Use router as DHCP and set Starting IP Address and Ending IP Address that match number of your computers in the network
- once in awhile log on router see and anything changes

(when you log on router you will know how many computers access you router by look at attached devices)

That all I know good luck
 10/13/2004 12:15 AM

Author Icon
olyteddy

Most wireless routers keep a log. You can monitor the log and typically find the machine name and MAC ID of anyone connected to your network. To restrict access, either use WEP and give the key to trusted users or set up MAC filtering to allow only certain machines access. Sharing your broadband connection, however, is probably against the policies of your service provider. If you want to see what's in the air around you, get Net Stumbler. Do not try to connect to any networks you may discover as this is strictly illegal.

First PC = Vic-20, 8" 128KB Home-Brew Floppy Drive ... Current Rig = eMachines m6805 ... Quantum Leap?
 10/13/2004 01:03 AM

Author Icon
Юêªm3®

I agree with Teddy, I also know they sell a wi-fi sniffer for a keychain....bout $30 at Staplez.......but if the network you come acrozz iz WEP encrypted....no good. I monitor my wirelezz connectionz through my ROUTER.

' ">http://www.dreamersinkart.com

"imagination iz the reality of the dreamer....."
 10/18/2004 12:48 PM

Author Icon
Takezo_dono

Windows XP's Zero configuration utility it will alow any one to connect to any wirless network (It lists all SSIDs that are close by), that is not protected by WEP, recieve an IP, and become part of that network. You can check your DHCP pool, this will show you if another computer that is not on your network is reciving an IP from your Router's DHCP server.

Solution: Enable WEP

don't know how? Visit your router's configuration webpage, and look for WEP encryption in the wirless section, and simply enable it. But you should do this on a physicaly connected computer for obvious reasons. Generate a WEP key that must be inputed on each computer in the network. The key will be quite long, I sugjest you copy and paste it on a text document, then use a flopy. Now all you have to do is copy and paste the key on all the other computer when instructed to do so.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information