Increase font size
Topic Title: Lose internet connection at reboot
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/14/2004 04:34 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/14/2004 04:34 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Lawmanxxx

O/S: WinXP home 5.1.26
CPU: AMD Athlon XP2800 Barton (2083mhz)
MoBo: Asus A7N8X2.0 Deluxe
Vid: NVIDIA GeForce FX5200
HD: Maxtor 80gb
Mem: 512mb DDR

Hi All! My problem is this: Every time I reboot my computer, I lose my internet connection and have to release and renew my IP using Command Prompt. I've had this happen intermittently for several months, now. It will be functioning fine one day, then for no apparent reason I'll lose the connection apon reboot or shutdown. It doesn't seem to coincide with any new software installs. I don't run any third-party firewalls but when I disabled the XP firewall, it had no effect. I have a good Anti-Virus, I run AdAware and Spybot S&D daily and I keep all these programs (and my O/S) updated regularly.

Having said that... the one irregularity is my home network. I have it connected in a rather clumsy fashion. Not knowing what I was doing, I ran the phone line to the ADSL modem, from the modem to my top network card, from the bottom NIC to a 5 port ethernet hub, and from the hub to my second computer. Then I ran the XP Network Wizard. I have been told that this is not the ideal set-up, but it works. The catch is that my first computer must be on-line for the second one to have a connection. I've tried to re-route the network cables and run the Wizard again, but in any other configuration it will not work. I've even tried System Restore to no avail. It would appear that if I don't want to reformat both 'puters, I am stuck with it.

Can anyone tell me if this network setup would cause me to lose my internet conection at reboot? If so, is there a way to fix things?
Any help or hints would be appreciated!

-------------------------
It's always better to have a hole in your sock, than a sock in your hole...
 07/12/2004 12:23 PM

Author Icon
Java
Elite

Yes it would. You should run from wall to modem. Modem to router. Router to each PC.

It sounds like your system is acting as the gateway, when you should have your router as the gateway.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Java
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

System 1: A64 X2 4800 | A8N SLI Del. | 6800GT | TT Tsunami | WD 80GB HD | Plextor DVD R/W | 1GB Corsair Pro, 1GB Crucial Balistix<br>System 2 (Wife's): A64 460
 07/12/2004 02:23 PM

Author Icon
rosarix

please tell me whether you have a dsl "modem" with just one ethernet port or a dsl router with more ethernet ports (4-8 usually).

I suppose you have a dsl router. they are very cheap nowadays. if u dont have already, buy one now.

BTW the top network card in Asus systemboard is 3com, the down netcard is Nvidia.

I have this setup:
4-port ethernet dsl router. PC1 witht he same motherboard as yours (asus) connected to router via the nvidia card, and the same for PC2 but uses a via card sinceit's via chuipset. laptop connected to router. dad's pc from another room connected to router with long cable on the ceiling. This is for Internet. the router configured as DHCP server from web/telnet interface, giving automatic IPs to PCs. the router maintains connection with PPPoA and the PCs just use it. it works very well.

if u have 1-port dsl modem try this:
modem to ethernet switch. switch to pc1. switch to pc2. use modem's web interface if it has one to configure it. no need for xp network wizard if web is available.

NerdyPC' ">http://www.nerdypc.org/ - My Blog' ">http://nsk.wikinerds.org/blog - My PCs' ">http://nsk.wikinerds.org/computers.html
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information