Increase font size
Topic Title: How to setup a small home network with 2 computers
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/03/2004 03:57 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/03/2004 03:57 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
hardwarenewbie

Hi,
I have two PCs and I want to setup a small home network so I can share files between them and so both computers can be used to browse the internet at the same time. I have DSL right now.

I bought one router, 2 netowrk cards, and 2 cat 5 cables.

Do I need anything else to setup a home network? Are there tutorials availble that can tell me how to setup a home network? Thx.

02/03/2004 05:13 PM

Author Icon
singularity2006

nope, ur good to go. Depending, you can probably do without the router, though a bit more work. If your DSL modem is an internal one, which it probably isn't, u can plug both computers directly together with a single crossover cable.

-------------------------
Best Regards,
Chuck - Freelancer
============
Join my LifeSaverXP UD Cancer Research Team' ">http://www.grid.org/services/t...4673-8D95-938AA24CBEC4 and make a difference, not just another donation.
 02/03/2004 05:42 PM

Author Icon
SpeedTek

router is still the best way to go. Gets rid of all kind of nasty problems with hackers trying to get into your computer, not to mention it kills off all those win messenger popups (if you've had a problem with them in the past.). A router will have an integrated switch that will allow for fast data transfer between your networked computers as well as network access for both. If your ISP limits you in the number of PC's you can have, it will show as one PC to your ISP as a router uses NAT (network address Translation) to assign an internal address to all PC's in your network. This has the added benefit of making your PC's invisible (for all intents and purposes.) to the outside world.

And yes, you're good to go....you don't need anything else, but to hook it all up.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of AMD or any of their affiliates.<br><span *****

02/03/2004 06:04 PM

Author Icon
hardwarenewbie

Tha't a relief. Alright, now I got everything. I don't want to deal with crossover cables as I have heard bad things. And my DSL line is currently connected externally like singu mentioned. How should I install it?

Steps according to me:

1. Install all the hardware (inside the computer).
2. Connect everything.
3. Connect the router to a phone jack via phone cable
4. I am lost after that....

Both computers are running win xp pro. Do I have to assign IP addresses, subnet masks or any of that stuff. Step-by-step guide would be wonderful.
 02/03/2004 08:01 PM

Author Icon
konfuzd

You should be able to tell the network setup wizard on both computers how it's set up and be good to go. Since both are running the same os, that makes it even simpler.

If all else fails, hit it harder.
 02/03/2004 09:32 PM

Author Icon
hardwarenewbie

I am having problems. First, I disconnected the DSL modem and tried to network the two computers but obviously I couldn't get online...

Here's what I am doing right now:

Phone Jack --> DSL Modem --> Router connected to modem via WAN --> I will get a third Cat5 cable tomorrow and then try to setup the network again.

Am I doing something wrong? I thought I only needed one router and two cat5 cables but apparently I was wrong. I have an external DSL modem, BTW.

Please help me with this. Thx.
 02/03/2004 10:20 PM

Author Icon
singularity2006

It's usually not fully automatic. Read through your router manual to see how to access the internal setup program to setup the router to work with the modem. This is where you would enter your username and password for your ISP service and such. Then when you are done, you can plug both computers to the router and u should be good to go.

Best Regards,
Chuck - Freelancer
============
Join my LifeSaverXP UD Cancer Research Team' ">http://www.grid.org/services/t...4673-8D95-938AA24CBEC4 and make a difference, not just another donation.
 02/03/2004 10:57 PM

Author Icon
hardwarenewbie

I did went into my dlink router setup but I don't see anything like the one you are talking about.

So that means that I still need to connect the router to my modem, right?
 02/04/2004 12:19 PM

Author Icon
singularity2006

Yup, of course:

Phone line > Modem > Router > computers.

There should be a setup area somewhere in the router to type in the username and password for the ISP as well as a place to define DHCP setups and maybe firewall options. What router are you using?

Best Regards,
Chuck - Freelancer
============
 02/04/2004 02:58 PM

Author Icon
hardwarenewbie

ALright Thanks. I will get the third Cat5 cable soon. Anyways, I am using D-Link DI-604 router.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information