Increase font size
Topic Title: adhoc wireless network and problems with powernow
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/01/2004 10:21 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/01/2004 10:21 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ariskk

Hi, I connect my desktop PC with my laptop via an adhoc wireless network.

I managed to set it up to work with almost no problem. I say almost cause some times it looses some packages. I.e. ping doesn't always get a reply.

It only works ok when I use channel 12. Rest of the channels had problems with powernow and changes of the processor frequency. It seems that the processor is interfering with the network, and when the processor works at full speed the wireless network drops.

Has anyone faced this problem?

Also, what blocks the wireless communication? Wood, iron?

-------------------------
{Signature removed. Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines regarding signatures}
http://forums.amd.com/index.php?act=boardrules
 07/28/2004 10:32 AM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

im not sure if the processor is to blame.

also i dont think wood would block a signal. wirless devices r designed to go through walls. som 2.4GHz phones interfere with the signal though. if u hav 1 of those in your home consider upgradin to a 5.8GHZ phone.

My GT430 Is Folding For AMD Team 34106
FOR A GOOD CAUSE---Accepting Donations of New, Used, Working, Nonworking PC Components
Thanks to KLEETUS for his generous donation of components!!
 10/16/2004 04:33 PM

Author Icon
daviddferguson

Just my 2 cents worth, Wave propagation is highly dependant on the frequency. The way that wireless networks work are no different than the way that any other wirless system (broadcast radio, microwave, Radar, etc) works. Another factor of propagation is the matter of which the magnetic waves are trying to penetrate. It is obvious that if the waves are trying to go through a conductor, the instance of absorbtion or reflection is greater than that of a non-conductor. However, as the frequency goes up the level of absorbtion also goes up with most materials; wood being one of them. As one gets closer to the microwave spectrum, the non-conductive objects have more of an affect on the wave propagation. So, having your tranceiver antenna in a line of sight configuration would be best. This is almost always impractical, however. The good news is that packet technology affords us a "not so good" signal since it is self correcting. Your LAN may get a little slower but the packets should still eventually still get there. The exception to that would be excessive delays, which would cause timeouts and dropped packets.

In a nutshell, try to keep your transceievr antenna(s) as unobstruced as possible to the nodes you wish to communicate with. We find that many (MANY! problems are caused by bad placement of the antennas and higher expectations of the signal quality.

David
Heart Technologies
dferguson@heart.net
 10/16/2004 11:55 PM

Author Icon
olyteddy

Your common household Microwave oven also typically operates in the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Microwaves are absorbed or deflected by lots of things, including walls, floors and the metal of your desktop's enclosure. Sometimes repositioning the antenna will help. Sometimes using a high gain antenna helps. You could try a simple reflector like the Ez-10 or Ez-12 from: FreeAntennas.com' ">http://www.freeantennas.com.

First PC = Vic-20, 8" 128KB Home-Brew Floppy Drive ... Current Rig = eMachines m6805 ... Quantum Leap?
 10/17/2004 10:52 AM

Author Icon
ariskk

Thanks for the replies.

Happilly it works fine with band 12, so I've just let it be.

I don't have a microwave oven. Got a mobile phone but don't know on which frequency it operates.

I had some other problems with my pci wireless card, and I got my self a switch. No more wireless for me I guess.

{Signature removed. Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines regarding signatures}
http://forums.amd.com/index.php?act=boardrules
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information