Increase font size
Topic Title: Ok I'm getting a new network
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/17/2005 12:02 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/17/2005 12:02 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Someone112233

I would like to know the new possibilities for my server and home network

First though I would like to take the chance and ask if you always bit torrent download things at the highest rate you can on 54g wireless with a total of four people connected using the net will their net time out alot because of wireless lag, it seems the one ethernet computer dosent lag out because it is conneted to the router at 100mb/s

I want to buy 1gb/s cables and the equptment sorry I cannot spell /sad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='sad.gif' /> .

Will that help my server not have ad much lag being connected at 1gb/s to the 1gb/s router and the 1gb/s router connected to my other router that has wireless too. like ' ">http://img217.imageshack.us/my.php?image=network7hv.jpg

well if my netgear router has a uplink port (does it) and does this sound like a good plan my game comp also wont take bandwidth from the server with the 1gb/s and I can transfer my music faster.

now say I connect my gb lan's into the gb router will it transfer at near gb speeds a seccond or no

thanks for any help and if you can think of a better way even without gb lan's please share with me I need speed and to keep my server people happy
 09/17/2005 03:22 AM

Author Icon
bvchurch

QUOTE(Someone112233 @ Sep 16 2005, 09:02 PM)First though I would like to take the chance and ask if you always bit torrent download things at the highest rate you can on 54g wireless with a total of four people connected using the net will their net time out alot because of wireless lag, it seems the one ethernet computer dosent lag out because it is conneted to the router at 100mb/s

I want to buy 1gb/s cables and the equptment sorry I cannot spell /sad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='sad.gif' /> .

Will that help my server not have ad much lag being connected at 1gb/s to the 1gb/s router and the 1gb/s router connected to my other router that has wireless too. 

[right][snapback]504436[/snapback][/right]

Ok first cmanns I will try to go down the line here
1) Wireless signals always degrade, going through any air signal you are losing signals.

2) Remember 100mb is 100 megabits, about 12 megabytes per second. Or theorhetically, 1gigabyte is about 100megabytes per second, once again theorteically, but there are so many bottlenecks and such it will be rare to see that.

3) Gigabit routers and things are you neat, gigabit will only help if you are transferring files off your internal network, if you outside your networking, such as at a friends house or just downloding from 100mb/s will work more than enough.

09/17/2005 05:02 AM

Author Icon
Someone112233

well is it much more...I will transfer in the house and I dont want my things to be bottlenecked

we will have things like people accessing the server (sending me print jobs) etc etc so would it help or not
 09/18/2005 02:57 AM

Author Icon
bvchurch

QUOTE(Someone112233 @ Sep 17 2005, 02:02 AM)well is it much more...I will transfer in the house and I dont want my things to be bottlenecked

we will have things like people accessing the server (sending me print jobs) etc etc so would it help or not
[right][snapback]504543[/snapback][/right]

Well a gigabit network will definitely help out. I mean, for example I just rewired the house last winter/spring, and my dad and I put in Cat 5e, well Cat 5e is Gigabit cord, meaning it can run 10/100/1000. Gigabit switches are dang cheap.

http://www.compusa.com/product...t_in...1&pfp=91805sale' ">http://www.compusa.com/product...e=320011&pfp=91805sale

$20 after rebate for the switch.

I sitll use 10/100 switches, reason being because they are cheap, and I mainly use switches to share the internet, so it makes little difference to me.

But yeah Cmanns it will help out a little bit in transfer speeds and such, printing speed and such is determined by the printer and the computer where the documents are being sent to.
 09/20/2005 10:14 AM

Author Icon
Someone112233

so do I want cat 5e or cat 6 and how do ya make the print job's go to the printer faster
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information