Increase font size
Topic Title: WAN LAN Wireless & multiple workgroups
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/14/2005 08:03 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/14/2005 08:03 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
yroseotex

Greetings, My first post so please be tolerant.

We are a small office with shared office space at 41/2 locations. We have the majority of our computers in one office, two or three at the other locations and laptops that travel between them. Each office has its own wired network with the 1/2 being a wireless bridge between buildings. Some of the computers have been able to "see" other computers at some of the other locations when they all had the same workgroup name. This was through a DSL internet connection. These same computers also had difficulty seeing other computers on it's own wired network. Still haven't resolved that. We went through all the usual yada yada-- user names, workgroup name, sharing etc. During that process we discovered the limit of 10 inputs on XP. (All the computers in the largest group and at this location are running XP pro except one which is XP home.) When we realized that with the computers at other locations all on this same workgroup we far exceeded the 10 input limit, especially when the laptops were added, we decided it might help to give each office it's own workgroup. It briefly helped the local computers see each other but once again we have some computers that can ping others in the same workgroup but they don't show up on the "my network places" or we're told we don't have access either to the workgroup or to that computer or file.
Now we(meaning I) need to know how to get each offices workgroup to "see" and access the other workgroups at other locations, in addition to getting each computer on one workgroup to see and access all the others in its own workgroup.
Each computer has a static IP address and different name. Those on the same wired network have the same subnet mask, default gateway, preferred and alternate DNS servers. Couldn't tell you just now about the settings for the computers at the other locations. I was told that when the second location got its new workgroup name it had no trouble seeing the other locations and this workgroup however when this location got its new workgroup name we could no longer see anything other than the local network.
At this location all of the computers are linked through a Cisco 10/100 16 port workgroup switch which is connected to the bridge that links us to the router in the other building.
Please be kind in your responses. I am practically clueless about all this but unfortunately for me I am the most computer literate at this location so anything computer related gets dumped on me along with my "normal" job responsibilities.
Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information