Increase font size
Topic Title: Lan card wont connect
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/24/2005 02:59 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/24/2005 02:59 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
kritical

iv had a realtek lan card for a whlie now but wen it is connected to another computer or my switch or router tha lan card light begins flashing and ipconfig says "media Disconnected". i have tried using alllllll types of cables, long,short, crossover and all that stuff but it does connect sumtimes occaisionaly but stops working after a while.

im stumped
 12/24/2005 03:46 AM

Author Icon
bvchurch

Well If I am understanding you correctly what happens is that you will be connected to a swich or another computer with a crossover cable but all the sudden you will lose your connection and XP comes out and says media disconnected, is this correct?

If so to me it sounds like your card could be dieing or its possible that your card is overheating. Realtek make great connectors along with Broadcomm if you are looking for a replacement, myself I have just never been happy with my marvell based cards. Now if the card is overheating just try moving it to a different pci slot where there may be more air moving over the card.
 12/24/2005 05:56 AM

Author Icon
kritical

sorry for not being more clearer but ill try to explain again properly.

This realtek card was previously in another computer and worked remarkably well. after i purcahsed a hub switch and plugged one end into the card and the other end into the switch it workd for a short amount of time, but suddenly after a restart it began flashing, (the light on the hub and the card both). not knowing whats wrong with it i tried many things, one being the use of different cables, other being installin and updating drivers, changing the slot and the room the computer is in is air conditioned ma board never gets above 37 celcius. so i tried to see if the card can be ping. i went to run>cmd>ipconfig. and it states that the media is disconnected for that specific card.

and thank you for your quick response bv church

12/26/2005 03:46 AM

Author Icon
bvchurch

Yah that is what I am expecting. It looks like your cad is probably just going out. That would be my best guess without really diagnosing it. See I would have done everything you pretty much have done, starting with changing cables, switches/hubs/routers, then changing pci slots on the computer, etc. I am fairly certain that your card has died finally. It is cheap to replace a card like that. In the US you can get a card for less than 10$ on Newegg. Other possibilities exist such as that your windows installation maybe corrupt and just disconnecting after a while, but I would doubt that.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information