Increase font size
Topic Title: Forwarding ports ?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/24/2005 06:35 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/24/2005 06:35 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
crOss

Hi,

Lately I've been having an unusual problem, that occured after my ISP got a network upgrade.

I can no longer play online games in a stable fashion; after a short while (ranging from 10 seconds to 1 hour) the connection to the game server times out, even though my other internet applications (IRC, MSN or downloads) have no problem whatsoever continueing their bussiness.

I have heared about people forwarding ports on their router for CS; but I never semt to need it. Now I'm wondering maybe I do - this unstable condition is enduring for 2 weeks now. I am routed by a SMC7204BRA barricade router, and it hadn't given me any problems for an entire year. I checked all manuals i found but couldn't find any reference to the problem I'm experiencing.

My ISP claims their network upgrade is complete and any instability should not be caused by them. But then again, my ISP tends to flower things up.

I play Counter-Strike on a competitive level and this unstable condition is basicly keeping me 100% inactive. I'm fairly desperate so I'd be more than happy with any help any of you could offer.

Thanks in advance,

crOss
 08/26/2005 02:29 AM

Author Icon
bvchurch

QUOTE(crOss @ Aug 24 2005, 03:35 PM)Hi,

Lately I've been having an unusual problem, that occured after my ISP got a network upgrade.

I can no longer play online games in a stable fashion; after a short while (ranging from 10 seconds to 1 hour) the connection to the game server times out, even though my other internet applications (IRC, MSN or downloads) have no problem whatsoever continueing their bussiness.

I have heared about people forwarding ports on their router for CS; but I never semt to need it. Now I'm wondering maybe I do - this unstable condition is enduring for 2 weeks now. I am routed by a SMC7204BRA barricade router, and it hadn't given me any problems for an entire year. I checked all manuals i found but couldn't find any reference to the problem I'm experiencing.

My ISP claims their network upgrade is complete and any instability should not be caused by them. But then again, my ISP tends to flower things up.

I play Counter-Strike on a competitive level and this unstable condition is basicly keeping me 100% inactive. I'm fairly desperate so I'd be more than happy with any help any of you could offer.
Thanks in advance,
crOss
[right][snapback]488223[/snapback][/right]

Well there are a couple things you can do.

First get an Ip of a server you play on, along with its port. THen go to the command prompt and run pings to that server, see if you are seeing any problems.

Second is this happening only in CS, and is it only on one server?

Third, you can go into port forwarding in the web interface, might be caleld port router, port forwarding whatever.

Fourth, if your first test with the ping test shows loss of packets contact your ISP and tell them since there upgrade you are losing packets etc.

How about a router firmware upgrade.

And finally what if your router has just gont bad, how about an RMA?
 08/26/2005 03:36 AM

Author Icon
crOss

QUOTE(bvchurch @ Aug 26 2005, 12:29 AM)Well there are a couple things you can do.

First  get an Ip of a server you play on, along with its port.  THen go to the command prompt and run pings to that server, see if you are seeing any problems. 

Second is this happening only in CS, and is it only on one server?

Third, you can go into port forwarding in the web interface, might be caleld port router, port forwarding whatever. 

Fourth, if your first test with the ping test shows loss of packets contact your ISP and tell them since there upgrade you are losing packets etc.

How about a router firmware upgrade.

And finally what if your router has just gont bad, how about an RMA?
[right][snapback]489241[/snapback][/right]

Thanks for your reply. I have the problem on all online games, not just CS, and on all servers.

I will go over your list and post my findings here.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information