Increase font size
Topic Title: Gigabit LAN with switch and router
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/26/2005 11:24 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/26/2005 11:24 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
madafakapc

Hi!

Running win xp on both pcs.

I need a solution to get this lan going!

I have a smc router attached to a switch from SMC GS8 with 1gbps (8 ports).

I have 2 pcs connected to the switch and this switch is comnnected to router

I have cat5e cables.

I need an ftp or something good to get the gigabit lan working with gbps transfers. I have 2 pci cards from Surecom in (one in) each computer with gbps support.

So, i know i cannot get the gbps from the windows interface... so i need another solution.

My intention is to transfer files from pc to pc, what can i do, an ftp, what?

Thanks a lot!!!!!
 10/11/2005 03:02 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Takezo_dono

Transfer speed is usualy measured in Megabytes, while network throughput is mesured in Megabits. 1 byte = 8 bits. So if you are transfereing at 125 Megabytes per second, then you are actualy reaching 1 Gigabit per second throughput on the interface.

With windows interface, asume you mean fileshareing. Filesharing imposes some overhead to the transfer, so you will never reach peak speed. However, you can tell how fast your transfer realy is by takeing the size of the file you transfered, multiply it by 8, then divide that by the amount of seconds it took to complete.

BTW, the router is not doing anything. They are both hooked to the same switch are they not? You can totaly disconect the router, and both computers will be able to connect to each other if configured correctly (with the manual configuration of IPaddresses). All the router does is assigns the ipaddres via DHCP (unless you manual configured it). The only time the router actualy routes packests, is when you access the internet or another subnet.

You can use FTP if you want, but it will not make it any faster. And you don't have to open ports on the router if you conect two computers to the same switch. Simply because they can communicate without the router. But you have to either diable or open ports on window's integrated firewall (the one in Security Center) for it to work.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information