Increase font size
Topic Title: how to make your computer into a file server
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/09/2005 02:17 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/09/2005 02:17 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
91RX-7 Boy

I want to host some files on my comp using I guess a ftp or sumthing, but I want to be able to just make a link to it and people just take it off my computer
 08/09/2005 02:20 AM

Author Icon
Old Camper

Running an Apache HTTP server might be a suitable option as well.

Bundle it with PHP for uploads, and make sure it's passworded.

Old Camper.

-------------------------
One day, humanity will advance forward and leave behind our humble little world to reach innumerable heights of technology, evolution and civilization, to bring our imaginations into the unsuspecting universe and ourselves... play God.
| Email/MSN: old_camper@hotmail.com | Visit the SSAA | IRC @ #forums.amd.irc on irc.d
 08/09/2005 02:22 AM

Author Icon
91RX-7 Boy

see iam trying something well i lost the name but i think it's appserv, says it's free and hosts web sites and stuff
 08/09/2005 01:17 PM

Author Icon
xamlit

A nice Web file sharing program is " WFS Home" or WWW File Sharing. Its adderss is www.wfshome.com . Its pretty straightforward and easy to use.
 08/10/2005 04:32 AM

Author Icon
91RX-7 Boy

well how do i see the ftp on the new do i pay
 08/11/2005 09:15 AM

Author Icon
Le_Petit_Lapin

You're running the FTP server off your own PC yeah?

Simple.....type in your IP into an FTP client and you'll see your FTP files.
 08/11/2005 07:20 PM

Author Icon
bvchurch

QUOTE(Le_Petit_Lapin @ Aug 11 2005, 06:15 AM)You're running the FTP server off your own PC yeah?

Simple.....type in your IP into an FTP client and you'll see your FTP files.
[right][snapback]478816[/snapback][/right]

Well it may not be that easy

First he has to have it setup so that his router is doing forwarding of some sort. Portforwarding to be exact to his server.

Then it should work A dynamic DNS might work best though, dyndns.org basically has your router login, netgears support it, where you can mkae your fileserver work like that.

Filezilla is another goot FTP.
 09/28/2005 01:02 AM

Author Icon
mrbradeli

Use PHPdev for HTTP. It works very good for a website with PHP and all that crap cuz it includes PHP, both versions of Apache, and MySql.
 10/11/2005 02:40 PM

Author Icon
Takezo_dono

It's probably better to use a file hosting service. I am pretty sure there are a lot of free ones if you look around. Just upload all the stuff you want, then create a page on My Space. Make a link to it. The easiest way to share your files and have your own site where friends can visit.

11/23/2005 12:38 PM

Author Icon
vsingh
Voodoo Programmer

QUOTE(Takezo_dono @ Oct 11 2005, 02:40 PM)It's probably better to use a file hosting service.  I am pretty sure there are a lot of free ones if you look around.  Just upload all the stuff you want, then create a page on My Space.  Make a link to it.  The easiest way to share your files and have your own site where friends can visit.
[right][snapback]521054[/snapback][/right]

but then if you run out of space you have to pay to get more space /sad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='sad.gif' />

i would rather host my own ftp server with a utility like ws_ftp

all you have to do is put all your files in the program's directory and leave your pc and internet connection on, voila! /wink.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='wink.gif' />

then of course you can get a domain name from somewhere; they're not expensive, i've seen some for $5 a month
 11/23/2005 04:58 PM

Author Icon
D22_2003

Cmanns,

I will link all of the programs I used to get my FTP/HTTP server up and running, pretty much all the setup is self explainitory all you've got to do is setup your router correctly (if you have one), find out if you have a Dynamic or Static IP, and then enter your IP when it requires it.

Dyndns' ">http://www.dyndns.com <- used to get a free domain to forward to your IP

PHPTriad' ">http://sourceforge.net/projects/phptriad <- the main server program. I'm not sure if it will set itself to auto-run on boot but you can probably figure that out (doesn't use too much resources)

warftp' ">http://www.warftp.org/ <--the program used to setup the FTP aspect of your server,. kind of complicated but there is guides on the site.

These programs should be all you need Cmanns but remember if your not running on a great connection you WILL be limited to the ammount of clients your computer can serve. upgrading to more ram and a better connection might help a little but nothing runs a server like a OC3 connection and a dedicated Opteron with 2Gb+ of ram /laugh.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='laugh.gif' />

(When i ran my server off the PIII in my signature with a 5Mbps down and roughly 1Mbps upload, I could only serve a maximum of 15 Clients at once but the speeds were horrible for them with that many people accessing at once)

~D~

Main PC = AMD Athlon XP 1800+, Thermaltake Volcano 12, FIC AM37 Motherboard, ATI Radeon X1300Pro 256Mb, 640Mb RAM, 400watt ACEPower Dual Fan PSU, On board NIC, WD 40Gb & WD 250Gb<br><br>Second PC = AMD X2 4200+ AM2, 2048mb ram, WD250GB SATA, ATI Radeon X2900XT, Samsung 19in Widescreen LCD 5ms 3000:1 contrast / native resolution 1440x900
 11/30/2005 02:04 PM

Author Icon
shant

QUOTE(D22_2003 @ Nov 23 2005, 05:58 PM)Cmanns,

I will link all of the programs I used to get my FTP/HTTP server up and running, pretty much all the setup is self explainitory all you've got to do is setup your router correctly (if you have one), find out if you have a Dynamic or Static IP, and then enter your IP when it requires it.

Dyndns' ">http://www.dyndns.com <- used to get a free domain to forward to your IP

PHPTriad' ">http://sourceforge.net/projects/phptriad <- the main server program. I'm not sure if it will set itself to auto-run on boot but you can probably figure that out (doesn't use too much resources)

warftp' ">http://www.warftp.org/ <--the program used to setup the FTP aspect of your server,. kind of complicated but there is guides on the site.

These programs should be all you need Cmanns but remember if your not running on a great connection you WILL be limited to the ammount of clients your computer can serve. upgrading to more ram and a better connection might help a little but nothing runs a server like a OC3 connection and a dedicated Opteron with 2Gb+ of ram  /laugh.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='laugh.gif' />

(When i ran my server off the PIII in my signature with a 5Mbps down and roughly 1Mbps upload, I could only serve a maximum of 15 Clients at once but the speeds were horrible for them with that many people accessing at once)

~D~
[right][snapback]552524[/snapback][/right]

i have tryed your trick and i didint understand ... ? and i signed up to the " Dyndns " and they want me to pay to get a domain ...its not free ?

AquaMark3 : 89,055 3DMark05 : 8,070 3DMark03 : 17,093 3DMark2
 12/01/2005 12:45 AM

Author Icon
Cooler

No need to pay for any "Premium" service - Just choose free one.

From main page: Choose "Services" from top bar, "Dynamic DNS" link from next page... and start by reading links below "More Info".
 12/01/2005 11:51 AM

Author Icon
pagerboy

What kind of internet do you have, static or dynamic IP address?
 02/01/2006 06:20 PM

Author Icon
Cooler

quote:

Originally posted by: pagerboy
What kind of internet do you have, static or dynamic IP address?

I guess that was addressed to people earlier at this thread?

Me, I'm on ADSL and dynamic IP... and using nice open source server FileZilla. I'm using the server and client, both - They can be found from SourceForge /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="h34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information