Increase font size
Topic Title: Network Two Computer
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/16/2005 07:45 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/16/2005 07:45 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Yue_Hong
Overclocker

hey guys,

I have two computer, one is win98 machine and the other one is winxp machine. Can I network both computer by plug the network cable directly to both computer? What configuration should I make in the windows for the connection to work properly? Also, how do I share the drive such as harddisk and CDROM? If you know how, please reply me. Thanks.

-------------------------
"If you look at the last five years, if you look at what major innovations have occurred in computing technology, every single one of them came from AMD. Not a single innovation came from Intel." -- AMD CEO Hector Ruiz in 2007
 06/16/2005 08:00 AM

Author Icon
wing_z3r0

there are always ways, but that wouldn't be very easy.

My suggestion: buy a router... they are cheap, make setting up a network a helluva lot easier, and provide protection.

*Dok's Law*: The simplicity of a solution is directly proportionate to its elusiveness.
HijackThis, Adaware, Spybot search and destroy, <a href="http://majorgeeks.com/download...2859&file=11&evp=61b0e
 06/16/2005 08:16 AM

Author Icon
jwagdy

To connect 2 computer directly, you need a cross-over cable.

Creating a crossover cable:

Crossover cables are used to connect two machines without the use of a hub, switch, or router. While similar to a standard CAT 5 cable, the wiring in a crossover cable is actually quite different. Instead of following the same wire pattern on both ends of the cable, one end is exactly opposite of the other, as seen below.

Connector #1 Connector #2
White/Orange -------- White/Green
Orange/White -------- Green/White
White/Green -------- White/Orange
Blue/White -------- Blue/White
White/Blue -------- White/Blue
Green/White -------- Orange/White
White/Brown -------- White/Brown
Brown/White -------- Brown/White

AMD Phenomtm X4 9950
Asus Crosshair II Formula
700W PSU
2 x 2 GB Corsair DOMINATOR DDRII 1066
XFX Nvidia GeForce 9800 GX2 1GB DDR3 GPU
1 x Barracuda 7200.11 SATA 3Gb/s 1.5-TB HDD
1 x Maxtor Diamondmax IDE 200 GB HDD
--
 06/16/2005 08:17 AM

Author Icon
xamlit

For what you are talking about there is a special cable that you can purchase called a crossover cable. I usually make my own, but if you don't have access to the proper guides and the right material it will be kinda tough. Here is a link for a crossover cable from newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/...asp?...N82E16812107216' ">http://www.newegg.com/Product/...p?Item=N82E16812107216

Its fairly inexpensive, but the best solution for the long run would be to purchase a router and a couple of ethernet cords.. .You've just inspired me to write a Networking Guide in the howto section!

Edit: In terms of network configuration settings, you would have to make one computer the server by giving it the same ip for the gateway as it does for its own ip address. After that make sure the gateway on the other computer corresponds with the server. Give the 2nd computer an ip address similiar to the server ex: 192.168.0.1 (Server)
(192.168.0.2} would be the 2nd ip address. I'll get back to you on File Sharing..but I've gtg..

xam
 06/16/2005 08:18 AM

Author Icon
OliverMaltby

QUOTEMy suggestion: buy a router... they are cheap, make setting up a network a helluva lot easier, and provide protection.

I second that, I originally bought a Cat (can't remember the number) cable and planned to link two computers together, I thought "one cable, two computers - how difficult can it be?". I had so much trouble trying to get the two to "see each other" so I could share files etc that I just gave up, however, I did manage to play some decent FPS's against my brother.

QUOTEYou've just inspired me to write a Networking Guide in the howto section!

Nice, it gives the "networking newbies" like me a great way to learn how to create a simple home network.

ASRock 939Dual-Sata2 Athlon ULi m1695 | AMD 64 3200+ S939 | 2 x OCZ Premier 512MB DDR400 CL 2.5-3-3-7 | Tagan TG430-U15 430W PSU (40A on combined 12V) | Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 160Gb 8Mb Cache | Point Of View nVidia GeForce 6800GS | Creative Audigy 2 ZS | Logitech 5.1 X-530 Sound System | Hauppauge PVR250 | Liteon DVDR+-
 06/16/2005 08:56 AM

Author Icon
Yue_Hong
Overclocker

QUOTE(jwagdy @ Jun 16 2005, 04:16 AM)To connect 2 computer directly, you need a cross-over cable.

Creating a crossover cable:

Crossover cables are used to connect two machines without the use of a hub, switch, or router. While similar to a standard CAT 5 cable, the wiring in a crossover cable is actually quite different. Instead of following the same wire pattern on both ends of the cable, one end is exactly opposite of the other, as seen below.

Connector #1        Connector #2
White/Orange -------- White/Green
Orange/White -------- Green/White
White/Green -------- White/Orange
Blue/White -------- Blue/White
White/Blue -------- White/Blue
Green/White -------- Orange/White
White/Brown -------- White/Brown
Brown/White -------- Brown/White
[right][snapback]438538[/snapback][/right]

What is the crossover cable? Can we use the network cable to connect both computer through network card?

"If you look at the last five years, if you look at what major innovations have occurred in computing technology, every single one of them came from AMD. Not a single innovation came from Intel." -- AMD CEO Hector Ruiz in 2007
 06/16/2005 08:59 AM

Author Icon
hubs8907

Crossover cable is a special type of network cable that lets you connect both computers directly to each other.

hubs8907
 06/16/2005 09:00 AM

Author Icon
Silk_the_Absent1

Some NIC chipsets are "smart" enough to use a standard cable for direct system to system networking, but if there is any doubt, I'd just get a crossover cable or better yet a switch or router.

-Adam
 06/16/2005 09:02 AM

Author Icon
Yue_Hong
Overclocker

QUOTE(hubs8907 @ Jun 16 2005, 04:59 AM)Crossover cable is a special type of network cable that lets you connect both computers directly to each other.

hubs8907
[right][snapback]438561[/snapback][/right]

Why we can't use the normal network cable to connect? What is the different between Crossover cable with the normal network cable?

06/16/2005 09:06 AM

Author Icon
xamlit

The cables are switched around so that the transmitting wires go to the receiving ports etc.. A regular ethernet cable won't work.
 06/16/2005 09:09 AM

Author Icon
hubs8907

If you use just regular ethernet cable, you will have to buy a router/switch, so it can make the other computers see each other. Crossover cable does the same thing.

hubs8907
 06/18/2005 06:26 AM

Author Icon
Takezo_dono

Get crossover cable, they are easy to find. It will say crossover cable right on package.

connect cable

configure IP address for both.
98 = go into network places, should be the same after that
XP =
GO Start - control pannel - network and internet conectivity - network conections - Right click Local Area Network - L click properties - scroll down to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) - L click it - properties - select - "use the following address".

For Computer 1(don't mater which one) type in 192.168.0.1

The other computer then becomes Computer Number 2 and gets

for gateway put the IP of the computer it's connected to. Comp 1 gateway is comp 2's IP, etc...

No DNS (leave blank) as they will use netbios.

Ping to test conectivity.

Start - run - type CMD. Comand prompt pops up. Type Ping and the IP of the other computer. If on comp1, type in comp2's IP. you should receive 4 replys if it's good.

If you succeed then you ready for the intresting part. Windows Print and file sharing.

If not, then check cable first, then your configuration. I have done this millions of times. My configuration is the sure fire work solution.

note: you will not see computer in network neighborhood unless they are a part of the same workgroup and sharing a file.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows file sharing will alow you to share over files and print from any computer in your network without a central server.

Yes an I can do that all wirelessly. /tongue.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='tongue.gif' />

First you have to be a part of a workgroup.

XP =
R click My Computer - L click properties - Computer Name - here you can change the name of the workgroup, it should be workgroup by default.

98 is in the place for configuring network protocolls. scroll down till you see enable file and print shareing and enable it.

Now share a folder. right click the folder you want to share. On xp simply click on sharing and security, enable shareing, skip wizard. Name share. done.

98, I believe it's in the folder's properties when you right click it, i forgot since it's has been over 2 years since I have used 98.

shares on XP will look like folders while 98 sees the computer sharing the file.

Sharing a printer is the same as a folder. Install a printer like you would normaly, then on networked computer, add new printer wizard and install as network printer - browse network and select computer sharing the printer then printer. May need to instal 98 driver for printer.

done.

note: Windows shareing does not need to be configured to play LAN games. If it pings good then your ready to game.

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information