Increase font size
Topic Title: Wireless LAN
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/28/2005 02:04 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/28/2005 02:04 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Aggressor Prime

I am moving into a new house that cannot support a wired LAN but that works very well with a wireless LAN. I need ideas on a router that can support 6 computers, is fast (~100Mbps), and has the best security. I also want it to come from a good company like Linksys. I also need PCI cards that can support the router.

-------------------------
ComputerBB Moderator
Dell Inspiron 1720 (Core 2 Duo T7300 : GeForce 8600M GT)
BF2142 Brigadier General (All Unlocks)
 07/03/2005 12:59 AM

Author Icon
SpeedTek

Personally, I like DLink equipment. I would go for a DI-624 to meet the requirements that you are after. I wouldn't count on getting a full 100Mbps connection on the wireless, though, as the full 108 rating is only a peak potentential dependant on tide levels, moon phase, leaky basements, etc...... /wink.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='wink.gif' />
QUOTE* Maximum wireless signal rate derived from IEEE Standard 802.11g specifications. Actual data throughput will vary. Network conditions and environmental factors, including volume of network traffic, building materials and construction, and network overhead, lower actual data throughput rate.

For ultimate performance, consider their new DI-624M model.
http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=385' ">http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=385

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of AMD or any of their affiliates.<br><span *****

07/04/2005 12:35 AM

Author Icon
Takezo_dono

The farther away the devices from the rouer, the slower they will be. Though Super G, Speed Booster, an whatever enhanced G will also have better range. Pre-N routers have even beter range and speed.

Personaly I thing WEP is good security, though WPA does seem to be beter. WEP should be good enough as long as your pass key is not easily guessed.
 07/06/2005 07:57 PM

Author Icon
olyteddy

Also be aware that 54 Mb wireless means 54 Mb total, so if you are transferring data between PC's through the router, your bandwidth is only 50% of what's available. So if you have a server, connect it 100 Base T (wired to the router).

First PC = Vic-20, 8" 128KB Home-Brew Floppy Drive ... Current Rig = eMachines m6805 ... Quantum Leap?
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information