Increase font size
Topic Title: netgear wireless problems
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/19/2005 01:08 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/19/2005 01:08 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
91RX-7 Boy

i was wondering to speed up my connection if i can use my linksys wireless thing with my netgear one at the same time,my netgear is really slow, it's G band with the super 108mbps
 05/19/2005 01:23 AM

Author Icon
bvchurch

QUOTE(91RX-7 Boy @ May 18 2005, 10:08 PM)i was wondering to speed up my connection if i can use my linksys wireless thing with my netgear one at the same time,my netgear is really slow, it's G band with the super 108mbps
[right][snapback]420370[/snapback][/right]

i am confused here Cmanns

You have a netgear wifi router, what is its speed? It should be around 10-25kb/s you will not see 108kb/s.

But you also want to use another Linksys router? what is this linksys product?

If its a router you can try to have it pick up the signal, they may be able to do that.

But you might just want to add an antenna on to teh router.
 05/19/2005 01:36 AM

Author Icon
91RX-7 Boy

i dont know, my comp isnt doing anything, i tried to put the linksys anntenna on the netgear but the net gear one dosent come off, the cd for the netgear which used to work on my lap top wont auto start on my comp, mozella wont start,i cant use mozella or ie6,this sucks
 05/19/2005 11:05 AM

Author Icon
Teote

ok Cmanns stop and explain slowly so that I can understand.

Do you have to wireless routers? Linksys and Netgear? Do you have a Linksys router and a Netgear wireless card? or is it the other way around with a Netgear router and a Linsys wireless card?

If you have 2 routers a Linksys and a Netgear you can configure one to act as an AP(access point) to strengthen a single. Now If I am correct I do not believe Linksys and Netgear use the technology to get to that 108Mbps(I can check on this later today and let you know, I believe Linksys uses Broadcom while Netgear uses Arethos). Now if both both the card and the router G and you are using like a linksys router and a netgear card. You can turn off their special features that get the cards up to 108Mbps so that they are compatible. If you have a router that can do 108Mbps and a card that can do 56Mbps they are not going to work together. The 108Mbps router is sending out different signals that the 56Mbps card does not understand. If you have a linksys router go to the computer that is directly connected the the router through a wire open an a web browser and type in 192.168.2.11(I believe thats the internal IP address for Linksys routers) leave the username blank and the password is admin. In there there should be an option to turn off the 108Mbps feature and the router will go back to 56Mbps just like the wireless card. Then you should be able to get the wireless card to work with the router.

If I am understanding you correctly you have 1 router from one company and a wireless card from another. You have to understand any router or card that goes past the 56Mbps speed is using special features that requires a card from their company or one with that technology. The technology they use Speedboost although is said to be compatiable with other non speedboosted cards isnt always true. I personally have had trouble connecting to speedboosted routers before.

I am just guessing at what you are getting at because its really hard to understand what you are talking about. Explain the situation more so I can understand and help....

-------------------------
Aspire X-Navigator Case (Black\Silver)
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Winchester @ 2.4ghz (240 FSB, CPU Mult x10, HTT Mult x4, Vcore @ 1.37v)
DFI LanParty UT NF4 Ultra-D
1Gb Dual Channel OCZ Gold Series PC-3200 VX RAM (3-3-3-8, Vdimm @ 3.2)
Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce 6600GT (Core @ 500mhz / Memory @ 1000mhz)
E-POWER Tagan 480w PSU
Hitachi SATA 250GB HDD
 05/19/2005 12:45 PM

Author Icon
danmagicman7

I believe he is talking about how netgear has a "super G" which can boast speeds up to 108 Mb/s if you use the same wireless card.

Cmanns, in your case, the answer is no.

Actually Cmanns, you only need about 1 Mb/s for internet, that's it. If you are having problems accessing the internet then there is something wrong with your network.

Join the anti-signature club!<br><br>
 05/19/2005 12:58 PM

Author Icon
Teote

Dan you do not have to have the same wireless card as the router maker to use the speedboost. Several companies have routers that do this along with cards. To use the technology around speed boost though you have to be using a router with a broadcom chip in it. Belkin, Buffalo, and Liniksys, just a few I know of, all use broadcom for their speed boost technology.

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Winchester @ 2.4ghz (240 FSB, CPU Mult x10, HTT Mult x4, Vcore @ 1.37v)
E-POWER Tagan 480w PSU
Hitachi SATA 250GB HDD
 05/19/2005 01:01 PM

Author Icon
danmagicman7

QUOTE(Teote @ May 19 2005, 11:58 AM)Dan you do not have to have the same wireless card as the router maker to use the speedboost. Several companies have routers that do this along with cards. To use the technology around speed boost though you have to be using a router with a broadcom chip in it. Belkin, Buffalo, and Liniksys, just a few I know of, all use broadcom for their speed boost technology.
[right][snapback]420615[/snapback][/right]

Really, Almost all of the reviews of any router with speedboost claimed that if you wanted to take advantage of it you would need to buy a wireless card from the same brand with speedboost.

05/19/2005 01:09 PM

Author Icon
Teote

Maybe it just works better if you use the same router and PC card but I have done with 2 different ones.

All I know is speedboost uses 2 channels different channels(the channels must be 3 or 6 channels apart I believe also, e.g. 9 and 3) to send data. One channel is the send while the other is the recieve. The normal G is one channel to and from and if you use things like turbo mode(burst frame mode) each takes a turn sending out 3 pieces of data. MIMO I believe is just 3 channels that each send and recieve data(unlike the speed boost which is 2 channels in 2 different directions) and then pieces it back together. Also MIMO uses compression technology to speed things up a bit also.

E-POWER Tagan 480w PSU
Hitachi SATA 250GB HDD
 05/19/2005 04:16 PM

Author Icon
danmagicman7

QUOTE(Teote @ May 19 2005, 12:09 PM)Maybe it just works better if you use the same router and PC card but I have done with 2 different ones.

All I know is speedboost uses 2 channels different channels(the channels must be 3 or 6 channels apart I believe also, e.g. 9 and 3) to send data. One channel is the send while the other is the recieve. The normal G is one channel to and from and if you use things like turbo mode(burst frame mode) each takes a turn sending out 3 pieces of data. MIMO I believe is just 3 channels that each send and recieve data(unlike the speed boost which is 2 channels in 2 different directions) and then pieces it back together. Also MIMO uses compression technology to speed things up a bit also.
[right][snapback]420624[/snapback][/right]

Hmm, good to know.

I don't care about wireless speed because I only use wireless for internet.

05/19/2005 05:10 PM

Author Icon
TLH

Are you hiding your SSID and using encryption?You've inputted your mac addresses for your equipment etc?
The only reason I ask is that if your Netgear is that slow your worried,you may have someone taping into your bandwidth.
Have you scanned for other networks?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

1100t on M5A99x-EVO with 2x4gb and 6870 running Win7 on Force120 ssd in Corsair 600t cooled by H100. Folding for team 34106
 05/19/2005 05:16 PM

Author Icon
Teote

Well I was a tiny bit mistaken, I was at school so when writing this today to I had limited resources around me.

There are 2 major companies(I believe more when it comes to pre-n) that produce wireless chips for routers and pc cards. Broadcom, used in Linksys, Belkin, and Buffalo, and Atheros, used in D-Link and Netgear. Anything router or pc card past the normal 54Mbps speed for G cards has to use some sort of speed technology. For Broadcom chips they use frame bursting, fast frame, and compression. Fast frame is were a router or pc card send 3000bytes of data per packet instead of 1500bytes. Frame bursting is where a router or pc card send out 3 packets at a time instead of 1, which reduces overhead. Compression well im sure most of you know what that is and if you dont its like .zip files. For Atheros routers and pc cards do something called channel bonding which is were they take 2 channels to create 1 large channel. This large channel is 108Mbps capable(54x2..err..). Channel bonding has a flaw though, since it takes up 2 channels so other near by networks can be messed up by it. But who cares about the people around you.

So Cmass has either a Linksys router and a Netgear card or the other way around. The speed technologies are different from eachother. If these speed technologies are enabled, which they usually are by defualt, is probably the reason why he can not get them to work together. If he disables all of the speed technologie he should be just fine and able to get it to work.

E-POWER Tagan 480w PSU
Hitachi SATA 250GB HDD
 05/19/2005 05:48 PM

Author Icon
91RX-7 Boy

ok forget the linksys router, i was going to use just B speed in my home, ok i have reset everything and my comp is the only one that wont work on the net work, i think i need to reformat, there goes many cd's or all my stuff lol not funny, i mean i just want to do this
 10/27/2010 08:54 PM

Author Icon
gchagasteam
Lurker

I use netgear wireless in my home and I never had any problems with it.
 08/30/2011 06:23 AM

Author Icon
paulanderson

My wireless connection suddenly went down and I have to connect with wire. When I try to repair the connection it cannot renew the ip address. Every so often it will connect wirelessly but cannot clear DNS Cache. I have downloaded winsockxp but this has not solved the problem. I have also checked numerous posts on other websites from people with similar problems but no one has given a definitive answer.
All help very much appreciated!!
 08/30/2011 09:34 AM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

Hey Paul.....read your PM!!

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information