Increase font size
Topic Title: Wired game network
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/23/2005 01:36 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/23/2005 01:36 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
hubs8907

Ok, say that I wanted to hook up 2-3 computers to play games such as AOE, and other games like that. What should I get to do that?

I know that I will need a switch, but how does all that work?

Thanks,
hubs8907
 05/23/2005 04:20 PM

Author Icon
hubs8907

bump

hubs8907
 05/23/2005 04:35 PM

Author Icon
wing_z3r0

what you do is this: 1. plug the computers into the switch
2. then you have to get them on the same workgroup-if you have XP then use the network setup wizard (that way you don't have to actually know what you are doing /tongue.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='tongue.gif' />

If you need help with something in particular, just ask.

-------------------------
*Dok's Law*: The simplicity of a solution is directly proportionate to its elusiveness.
HijackThis, Adaware, Spybot search and destroy, <a href="http://majorgeeks.com/download...2859&file=11&evp=61b0e
 05/23/2005 04:38 PM

Author Icon
hubs8907

Cool. Thanks. Is there any particular switch that I should use, or would just a plain simple 10/100 switch be ok?

hubs8907
 05/23/2005 07:59 PM

Author Icon
FreeTheRock

i plain 10/100 switch is fine but if you want internet to all the PC's you have to get a router and then you can plug the switch into 1 of the ports on the router and every port on your switch will have internet.

FreeTheRock 60 Mage

05/25/2005 07:48 PM

Author Icon
jwsm

Yeah, get a router, especially if you have broadband. A router will let you share the internet connection among several computers and allow you to play multiplayer games over your LAN.

There are two kinds of people in the computing world.....those who have lost data, and those who will.
If your data is worth anything, back it up!
 06/06/2005 02:40 AM

Author Icon
Takezo_dono

LAN play (non online)
Hubs will work too. They are cheaper than switches. Latency for hubs will not be apparent in a network of 10 or less computers.

Plus you do not need to setup windows workgroup. lol n00bs

You just need them to ping.

Easiest way to do it. Get a cheap 4 port hub. one networking cable for each computer. Plug it it.

You then config IPs. You have to make it static.
192.168.0.x where x is the number of the PC. Computer 1 gets 1, Computer 2 gets 2 and so on.

Then go to comand prompt and type ping and the address of each computer other than the one you are using. If you get a reply for all 4 pings for each computer, your in business. Time to play some games.

Internet + Lan. Where you want more than one comp to go online with only one internet connection.

First off you need a broad band internet connection. DSL or Cable.

Then you need a internet sharing router. The router will have a 4 - port switch built in. Plug in as you woulf the hub.

Follow the instructions that come with it to the letter, then your done.
Your ready to game.

If you connect to a dedicated server (such as battle.net) you don't need to open ports on your firewall. Only if you are the server and you are hosting a game on your computer (no dedicated server) will you need to open ports for players coming from the internet into the LAN. It's not nessasary for computers that are already in your network because they are already behind your firewall. (If like opening the door for some to come in while they are already in your house. It's retarded but people still do it. I love noobs /laugh.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='laugh.gif' /> .)

Simple huh.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information