Increase font size
Topic Title: Wireless Networks
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/16/2005 12:31 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/16/2005 12:31 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
lucky47

My cousin asked me to set up a wireless network for him at his house. He needs it for using his laptop, and connecting his tivo up to the net to download the new tv schedulings and such. He just got a wireless router, so I'm just wondering if there is any certain way I should go about doing this. I've never really had to set up a wireless one before, so any help would be appreciated. As far as I know, I just have the windows utility for it, "set up a wireless network", do it for me. Let me know, thanks.
 02/16/2005 01:59 AM

Author Icon
Tech-Daddy

At the very least, setup the router with WPA-PSK, take the PSK (PreShared Key) and plug it in on the other devices wanting access.

This will at least give a modecum of protection. WEP 64bit is a blittle bit higher, and uses hex keys to be used as security passkeys from the client units.

Also, if you can, turn off SSID broadcasting on the router. Remember what the SSID is, as you will have to manually create the connections on the client machines... but that will keep anyone from turning on thei wireless card and seeing the broadcast SSID of your cousin's network.

You can take steps to lock down and secure your wireless point, but you have to be alert while running a device like this. Wardrivers can mark an open access point and have it on the Internet in moments, making your cousin's wireless access point nothing more than a playground for strangers.

This is why I say, use some form of login authentication/encryption, and turn off SSID's. It is not perfect protection, but it is the best you can do with home use devices currently.

HTH!
 02/16/2005 02:05 AM

Author Icon
lucky47

Riiight.. anyone else want to explain it in simplistic terms?
 02/16/2005 12:53 PM

Author Icon
Tech-Daddy

*deep breath*

Read the manual. Log in on the router. Look at the settings that I recommended, and it will make sense.

Each vendor's implimentation is different, so very generic instructions are all that can be given. I cant go line by line telling you to "check this tab" or "click there"...

We have no vendor info on the router, we have no info on the wireless cards that are in use...

We can on ly be as precise as the question is. So... that being said, what I told you *can* save you time, if you read over what I told you prior to reading the vendor manual.

You can highlight things in the manual that correspond to my instructions, and then when you log in on the router, configuration should be easy!

Good luck!
 02/17/2005 03:12 PM

Author Icon
lucky47

Yeah, so I set everything up, I just can't get it to recognize the wireless network when I add it in. I enter the SSID name in, enter the WEP key in, and then click add. But it acts like there is no network. I'm wondering what I did wrong, I set up the router as I was told to do so in the manual, and used the 64-bit WEP encryption code. It just wont recognize it.
 02/17/2005 05:53 PM

Author Icon
jkulysses

QUOTE (Tech-Daddy @ Feb 15 2005, 10:59 PM) At the very least, setup the router with WPA-PSK, take the PSK (PreShared Key) and plug it in on the other devices wanting access.

This will at least give a modecum of protection. WEP 64bit is a blittle bit higher, and uses hex keys to be used as security passkeys from the client units.

Also, if you can, turn off SSID broadcasting on the router. Remember what the SSID is, as you will have to manually create the connections on the client machines... but that will keep anyone from turning on thei wireless card and seeing the broadcast SSID of your cousin's network.

You can take steps to lock down and secure your wireless point, but you have to be alert while running a device like this. Wardrivers can mark an open access point and have it on the Internet in moments, making your cousin's wireless access point nothing more than a playground for strangers.

This is why I say, use some form of login authentication/encryption, and turn off SSID's. It is not perfect protection, but it is the best you can do with home use devices currently.

HTH!
Well, i'm just going to disagree with a couple of things here. WPA is a much better encryption than WEP is first of all. WEP can easily be hacked into if the right person really wants too. And 128 bit WEP is better than 64 bit encryption. Dont get me wrong, WEP is better than nothing because there is usually so many open networks that people will not want to bother with it. I do recommend turning off your broadcast SSID though. On mine I disabled ssid, enabled WPA encryption and put MAC address filtering on so even if somebody did somehow get past my security, it wont let them access my network because only my MAC is allowed too. I have a linksys router and the instrucitons on how to do everything i mentioned is on their website. I'm not sure what brand you have, but what ever brand it is i'm sure that manufacturer has instructions on their website. You want to go and get the newest firmware to flash onto the router anyway.

-------------------------
Athlon 64 3200+ 939
Zalman 7000 All Copper w/LED
MSI Neo 4 Platnium
2 x 512 Corsair Value Select RAM DDR400
MSI 6600GT PCI-E Video Card
OCZ Modstream 450 watt
Coolermaster Stacker Case

Gamertag: JkUlysses
 02/18/2005 02:03 AM

Author Icon
lucky47

Come on you bums, anyone else have anything they can think of on why it won't recognize it?
 02/18/2005 09:29 AM

Author Icon
jkulysses

try truning the ssid back on and see if it finds it that way. If it does then you know it is just a problem with the the computer not being able to find the signal at all. That is what i would try first. Also, does his laptop have built in wireless, Centrino? Or does he have one of those cards you plug into the pci slot? I have centrino and after i put SP2 on it does a lot better with wireless. Finds the signal better and never drops it.

Athlon 64 3200+ 939
MSI Neo 4 Platnium
OCZ Modstream 450 watt

02/22/2005 04:20 PM

Author Icon
strokeofgenius

I've set up a wireless network, even though I'm not sure it's the most secure thing in the world .
I have one computer plugged into the switch in the router and one connected wirelessly. All I had to do was to search for wireless networks, connected to the network called "NETGEAR"(brand of router) and I was up. This aint supa technical, but either am I. This has worked for me, and my brother and I have enjoyed many happy hours of LAN
 02/22/2005 07:50 PM

Author Icon
jkulysses

QUOTE (strokeofgenius @ Feb 22 2005, 01:20 PM) I've set up a wireless network, even though I'm not sure it's the most secure thing in the world .
I have one computer plugged into the switch in the router and one connected wirelessly. All I had to do was to search for wireless networks, connected to the network called "NETGEAR"(brand of router) and I was up. This aint supa technical, but either am I. This has worked for me, and my brother and I have enjoyed many happy hours of LAN
That means you have no security at all and anybody with a laptop could get on to your network and since you didn't even log into your router to change the default password they can get into your router and change whatever they want. I would at least change the default password and enable mac filtering.

Athlon 64 3200+ 939
MSI Neo 4 Platnium
OCZ Modstream 450 watt

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information