Increase font size
Topic Title: Firewalls
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/26/2005 07:36 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/26/2005 07:36 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Joy Division

Hi,
I have 3 computers which are networked together using a hub. 1 of the computers connects directly to the internet using a usb adsl modem. The other computers connect to the internet via this computer (Windows ICS). If the computer which connects directly to the internet is protected by a software firewall, do the computers which connect to the internet via this computer also need software firewalls installed?
Many thanks for any response, Charles
 02/26/2005 11:15 AM

Author Icon
olyteddy

I'm behind two hardware firewalls (not paranoid, I have my wireless router fed into a barricade router used as a print server) and according to grc.com's "Shield's Up" I'm invisible. I have all software firewalls turned off on this laptop. I'd suggest you try https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2' ">Shield's Up and see.

-------------------------
First PC = Vic-20, 8" 128KB Home-Brew Floppy Drive ... Current Rig = eMachines m6805 ... Quantum Leap?
 02/26/2005 02:10 PM

Author Icon
Keizer

ShieldsUp is a nice tool. I'm guessing the firewall on the computer sharing the net would filter the net traffic.

Noobgrinder.com' ">http://www.noobgrinder.com/ Gaming

My first GOOD computer was an AMD K6 200Mhz. Ever since then i'm all about the AMD.
 02/27/2005 06:15 AM

Author Icon
Joy Division

Shield's up tests all comp's as secure, even the two without software firewalls, so i guess the computer that connects directly to the internet (with firewall) is filtering all the traffic, thanks for the advice, Charles
 03/01/2005 03:18 PM

Author Icon
AMDkillsIntel

Yes that's true you only need one firewall for the computer that is connected to the internet the other ones are connected to the computer so only one firewall is needed.

Current System: IBM Thinkpad T22, Pentium III 1ghz, 512Mb RAM, 80Gb HD, S3 Graphics.

Future System: Homebuilt, AMD X2 3800+ (OC), 2Gb RAM, 400Gb HD, Nvidia GeForce 7800
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information