Increase font size
Topic Title: New wireless network help
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/12/2005 10:03 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/12/2005 10:03 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
rogvalcox

Can someone help me set up my new wireless network so that I can use my laptop while sitting at the couch and use the programs on the desktop in the kitchen without having to install them on the laptop. Or am I getting this confused with a server, and if so can I do what is needed with what I have. Being that my laptop is out of date and only having a 4 gig hardrive I'm obviously bargaining for space,so if I can just use the kitchen computer through the laptop I can stay on the couch and recover from my back sugery and use the programs I want without taking up room on the hardrive, which i would need about 10 gig for.

any help or suggestions would be appreciated!! If you need any more information, please let me know

Thanks
Roger
 01/15/2005 10:49 AM

Author Icon
Dazza30

What you need to do before anyone can help is add the specs of both your machines to your thread. This will give people more idea of how to assist you.

-------------------------
AMD ATHLON 64 3000+ (newcastle)
1024MB APACER DDR3200
ASUS K8V-MX MAINBOARD
EXPERT VISION 128MB 6600GT
MAXTOR 120GIG 8MB CACHE
300GIG EXTERNAL DRIVE
WINDOWS XP PRO SP2
 01/15/2005 10:58 PM

Author Icon
lifeline

also, what network components youre gonna use (i.e. router, network card)

[Signature over size limits. Please see forum guidelines.]
 01/16/2005 01:25 AM

Author Icon
bvchurch

QUOTE (rogvalcox @ Jan 12 2005, 07:03 PM) Can someone help me set up my new wireless network so that I can use my laptop while sitting at the couch and use the programs on the desktop in the kitchen without having to install them on the laptop. Or am I getting this confused with a server, and if so can I do what is needed with what I have. Being that my laptop is out of date and only having a 4 gig hardrive I'm obviously bargaining for space,so if I can just use the kitchen computer through the laptop I can stay on the couch and recover from my back sugery and use the programs I want without taking up room on the hardrive, which i would need about 10 gig for.

any help or suggestions would be appreciated!! If you need any more information, please let me know

Thanks
Roger
If you could please post your system specs for both computers. You are going to need a wifi card for both computers and probably a wireless router.

But once you have all the info for us, we can help out some more.

Thanks
 01/23/2005 11:09 PM

Author Icon
JHawk56
Elite

Hi Roger,

You need something like this:

RealVNC' ">http://www.realvnc.com/

It works over wired or wireless networks, or over the Internet. I use it to operate my office PC from home, and vice versa. I also use it to monitor and operate the server at work, from my desk.

John

My ECS/PCCHIPS/Amptron PCs<br>ASRock K7VM2
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information