Increase font size
Topic Title: Use one account (intrnetcable) at several location
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/27/2005 05:35 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/27/2005 05:35 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
EdwardJD

Dear all,
I'm a newbie to cable modem. Me and some friends intend to use internet cable under one account. I mean just one person registers the service and all of us will share the monthly fee. When we use the dial-up, there's no problem because one master account can create several member accounts and we can use the service at different locations (we don't live in the same house). Frankly we're too new about internet cable or DSL so we don't know how to share the service like we did with dial-up before.
Please help us with any idea!
Thanks in advance
 01/27/2005 12:43 PM

Author Icon
voodoo3300

You cant do this with cable or DSL because a user account is assigned to a particular phone number. If this was the case there would be no end of problems trying to route sessions through virtual circuits to ISPs hence the RADIUS servers that direct your connection from the phone company to ISPs only allow one account to be used on one line.

Jake

-------------------------
Main:
AMD Athlon 2600+ 333Mhz Thoroughbred | 512Mb in 2x 256Mb DaneElec DDR PC2700 | XFX NF2S-ALH with nForce 2 400Pro | Asus GeForce FX5200 128Mb Magic! | Creative 5.1! Live! | Maxtor DM+9 80Gb and Maxtor DM+8 20Gb | LiteON 832S DVD+-R/RW Dual Layer 8x | LiteOn 48x12x48x CD-RW | Full Black server case with 500W PSU | Relisys 17" Monitor | Wireless Optical Mouse | Logitech Surfer | XP Professional SP1

Server: Intel (Oh no!) 2x Pent
 01/27/2005 01:25 PM

Author Icon
EdwardJD

Hi Jake,
Thanks for your help. I've just heard that some people can use one line (DSL/cable) from a few different locations. They did by activating those modems (just 2 or 3 modems only) at the "legal" location. For example, I registered cable internet at my house. So you and maybe another 2 of our friends can use this service with me (no addtional fee at all) by connecting your modem & our friends' modems to my PC at my house and activating them. If we call & ask ISP people, they will say no except we use a hub to share the line or modem etc. I intend to find out more about this story. It's quite interesting to me because if it's true, we can save more.
Thanks Jake
PS: At present I & my friends have no cable/DSL modems so If you do and you're interested in this story, please test or check what I heard above.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information