Increase font size
Topic Title: Built a Linux Router
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/23/2006 01:14 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/23/2006 01:14 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Bruneauinfo
Alpha Geek

So I put together a topic a number of months ago about building a Zeroshell router from old desktop parts with an easy to install Linux based software app. However, the problem I encountered with that setup was that it didn't have a DHCP client for the public interface. Very annoying.

I did however find the solution - and a good one at that! www.smoothwall.org

Excellent opensource product. Easy to setup and install. If you're looking to build a powerful router or have a computer that's past it's prime - or both - smoothwall is pretty much the perfect solution as far as I can tell.

So if anyone's interested in a how-to I'm more than willing to discuss it here.

-------------------------
asus P6T Del V2 w/i7 920 6g ddr3 1600
Sapphire HD5770
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Smilodon case is STILL the best ever, ever, ever!!!
 01/16/2007 06:34 PM

Author Icon
vsingh
Voodoo Programmer

Wow that looks MUCH better than Zeroshell. I wonder if I could use a wireless NIC so I can make a wireless router out of, say, an old 350MHz Slot 1 P2 box with this.
 01/16/2007 11:35 PM

Author Icon
Bruneauinfo
Alpha Geek

i'm not certain how that would work. you can go to the Smoothwall Community forum and ask though. they're pretty good about getting back to you on that kind of thing. they also have a modders group too with added functionality not necessarily supported by the Smoothwall Express.

i'm guessing you'd make the green interface the wireless NIC. however, i'm not so sure you'd have a wired option if you did that.

asus P6T Del V2 w/i7 920 6g ddr3 1600
Sapphire HD5770
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Smilodon case is STILL the best ever, ever, ever!!!
 01/17/2007 01:35 PM

Author Icon
mckennma

quote:

Originally posted by: Bruneauinfo
So I put together a topic a number of months ago about building a Zeroshell router from old desktop parts with an easy to install Linux based software app. However, the problem I encountered with that setup was that it didn't have a DHCP client for the public interface. Very annoying.

I did however find the solution - and a good one at that! www.smoothwall.org

Excellent opensource product. Easy to setup and install. If you're looking to build a powerful router or have a computer that's past it's prime - or both - smoothwall is pretty much the perfect solution as far as I can tell.

So if anyone's interested in a how-to I'm more than willing to discuss it here.

I build one using three NICs and Linux Firewall.

External
Trusted
Internal

Firewall rules to router and protect traffic between the three NICs. I used Intel Server NICs for better throughput.

Tyan Thunder K8WE
Dual AMD 280 Opterons
8GB NUMA enabled DDR333 2.5-3-3-7 RAM
PCI-X SCSI RAID
http://69.14.190.80
 01/02/2010 01:42 AM

Author Icon
elderco

Also M0n0wall with zero's for the o's is a good router firewall that uses a hardened BSD Unix kernel and it has a gui to configure it. It is very good as well. You need an older PC with a cd rom and a floppy drive and a floppy disk. You can use memory cards or a hard drive, but then you lose the security. The program is burned to cd and the rules are on a floppy that is write tab protected. This way no rules can be changed, because none can be written. If the device restarts, it resets as well. Very good.

Here in Tampa where it's usually too hot and the bugs and gators are usually too big. Tampa Computer Repair
 01/15/2010 12:46 AM

Author Icon
EdWilliams

I have a pfsense box, works fine with a 1.6p4 with 1.5gb ram .. ntop is flaky it seems with less then 4gb ram.

Ed Williams with Titus Labs provides software sharepoint classification solutions.
 01/05/2011 11:35 PM

Author Icon
jmg999
Lurker

+1 to pfsense and M0n0wall.
 08/29/2011 02:20 AM

Author Icon
paulanderson

Zebra is open source TCP/IP routing software that is similar to Cisco's Internetworking Operating System (IOS). Flexible and powerful, it can handle routing protocols such as Routing Information Protocol (RIP), Open Shortest Path First (OSPF), Border Gateway Protocol (BGP), and all of their various flavors. This article shows how our authors set up Zebra and used it to manage routes dynamically in conjunction with real Cisco hardware.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information