Increase font size
Topic Title: Wireless Networking Problems
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/02/2006 07:58 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/02/2006 07:58 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Pilot

Hey Folks, long time no see. I thought I'd do my usual poke-my-head-in with some new IT-related problem I'm having. I thought I'd type it up in this forum because the problem is with my wireless -- aside from that my 2.5 year old Athlon64 box is still running at warp 9.

Anyway, here's the situation... I have a Cable Modem from Comcast plugged directly into my D-Link VWR router (which supports VoIP). From that, I have my one older AthlonXP machine hardwired into Ethernet Port 1, and I connect wirelessly in another room to a Macintosh iBook G4 and my Athlon64 3000 machine which has a Linksys PCI Wireless NIC. Typically they run fine, but I do notice a problem whenever another family member uses the hardwired AthlonXP machine...

I'm a power gamer, and the flavor of the month (for the last year and a half) has been World of Warcraft. I know that any game, especially MMORPGs, are very demanding in terms of bandwidth, but the problem I'm experiencing is only happening on the Athlon64 box.

Basically, if I try to duplicate the problem on my Macintosh - even when my family is using the AthlonXP machine hardwired, I stay connected. Unfortunately, the power difference for gaming between the Athlon64 and the iBook are like night and day, and I want to get the A64 up as soon as possible.

As I type this, my internet is solid with my Athlon64, and I've run bandwidth tests out the wazoo through OSX's Terminal and through Windows' Command Prompt. Basically, on the PC, whenever someone's on the hardwired AthlonXP I see packet loss of around 25%, which is most likely the cause of my disconnects from World of Warcraft. However, on the Macintosh, I still have 0% packet loss.

The only thing I can think of is that the Hard-wired PC is taking priority of the transmission of data because it's hardwired, but then again, how come that doesn't affect the Macintosh, located in the same room right next to the PC? (And to rule out interference, I've turned off my Airport Wireless NIC for the iBook for a day, and the problems still remained).

I was thinking it could potentially be a firmware issue... However, I'm a Vonage Tech Support employee and we roll out firmware periodically, I *cannot* change the firmware settings through the user or superuser logins... I can change the firmware through the admin login but I'm pretty sure that would render the Vonage device dead...

The other possibility I was thinking of is that the drivers on the Linksys WNIC could potentially need an update. I've downloaded them off the web and I'm going to attempt to install them shortly, it's not much of an update but we'll see how it goes... Other than that, there's a few settings on the router and computers you may be interested in:

The AthlonXP Machine is running the AthlonXP 1800+ on WindowsXP Home, hardwired into the router.
The Athlon64 Machine is running WindowsXP Professional, connecting wirelessly on a non-broadcasted non-secured SSID I've specified, on Channel 6. I've tried Channels 1 and 11 as well for connectivity, and the problem still remains. Other specs on the system include 2 Western Digital 160GB SATA HDD's on RAID0, Asus K8V Deluxe Motherboard, ATI Radeon X800 GTO (AGP) video card. That should be it, I think. The Macintosh is stock, just the basic iBook G4 purchased in June of 2005.

Also, I was having problems with port forwarding for the games to work with World of Warcraft and Day of Defeat Source, so I've assigned a static IP to my Athlon64 and placed it in the Router's DMZ. Without the DMZ, there are similar connectivity problems.

Any advice would be appreciated - even if it's more questions, thanks!

-------------------------
Pilot
AMD 64 3000 @ 2.0GHz || Running Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate
Apple iBook G4 1.42GHz (PPC Core) || Running Apple OSX Tiger
 10/02/2006 09:33 AM

Author Icon
bvchurch

Okay here are a few things to try:
1) Change the Athlon XP's port around to port 4 for example.
2) Change the Linksys' Wireless Card slot if possible.
3) Update the drivers for the Linksys wireless card.
4) Try hardwiring the macbook in, disconnecting the Athlon XP, and then using the wireless on the A64.
5) Have any of your colleagues heard similar complaints?

However their is something that really bothers me here:
quote:

Originally posted by: Unknown Also, I was having problems with port forwarding for the games to work with World of Warcraft and Day of Defeat Source, so I've assigned a static IP to my Athlon64 and placed it in the Router's DMZ. Without the DMZ, there are similar connectivity problems.

That to me kind of suggests a bad router but with networking their are so many things that can go bad.

EDIT: I mean to say a bad router or a bad networking card, thats what I get for writing this early in the morning though.
 10/02/2006 10:09 AM

Author Icon
Pilot

Thanks BV, I'll try that out now. I've got some other stuff going on today, but I'll try moving the port to Ethernet 4, and I've doublechecked that the drivers are the most up-to-date. I waited for about 30 min for a Linksys Tech, but got bored and hung up the phone. Pretty sure the problem I'm having is basically because of the WNIC though, since the Mac is ok. I'll report back in a few hours.

Pilot
 10/03/2006 08:34 PM

Author Icon
Pilot

Alright... What I've done here is actually removed the MAC Filter I had set up and I also actually removed the WEP key. Running on an open network does the trick, now I just have to make sure the pesky neighbors don't hijack me. Thanks for the recommendations, BV.

Pilot
 10/03/2006 09:13 PM

Author Icon
bvchurch

Weird. Well glad you got it solved...somewhat.
 10/03/2006 10:01 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

WEP is pretty weak anyway... It would probably stop an average joe from peeking, but that's about all it would stop.

Containment Breach

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information