Topic Title: 'Network cable unplugged', can't LAN
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/17/2006 08:22 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/17/2006 08:22 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Chris B.

Hello,

I've been trying to connect my two computers together via a Cat5 crossover cable. Computer 1 has got the idea, and shows a network connection when I turn on computer 2, but computer 2 just shows a red 'X', and says 'Network cable unplugged'. I've had the cable tested, and have tried another cable, and swapped them end for end.
I am running Windows XP SP2 on both. Computer 2 has a KSOM7+ Motherboard, with a built in SiS 900 Fast Ethernet Adapter.
On computer 2, when I try the 'Network Setup Wizard', I am told that the Network Adapter is not connected. When I check out the properties of the Network Adapter, I am told that the device is working properly. I have tried just about everything (this is the third forum I've tried). How can I determine if it is a hardware or software issue? I've also tried rolling back the driver, as well as updating Windows, which had an updated driver for the Network Adapter.

I would greatly appreciate some input on this problem.

Also, is it possible to get a detailed schematic diagram of my Motherboard? I have the manual, but it only gives a very generalized diagram of the Motherboard, and I want to be able to maybe track down any physical faults that may be to blame.

Regards,

Chris B.
 09/17/2006 10:42 AM

Author Icon
go_for
Alpha Geek

If you do a 'ipconfig /all' from the command prompt, does it read a valid MAC address(physical address),
other than 00-00-00-00-00-00 ? Did you try the latest driver from sis, v1.19 release date 2006-06-29?

-------------------------
 09/17/2006 02:14 PM

Author Icon
bvchurch

quote:

Originally posted by: Chris B.
Hello,

I've been trying to connect my two computers together via a Cat5 crossover cable. Computer 1 has got the idea, and shows a network connection when I turn on computer 2, but computer 2 just shows a red 'X', and says 'Network cable unplugged'. I've had the cable tested, and have tried another cable, and swapped them end for end.
I am running Windows XP SP2 on both. Computer 2 has a KSOM7+ Motherboard, with a built in SiS 900 Fast Ethernet Adapter.
On computer 2, when I try the 'Network Setup Wizard', I am told that the Network Adapter is not connected. When I check out the properties of the Network Adapter, I am told that the device is working properly. I have tried just about everything (this is the third forum I've tried). How can I determine if it is a hardware or software issue? I've also tried rolling back the driver, as well as updating Windows, which had an updated driver for the Network Adapter.

I would greatly appreciate some input on this problem.

Also, is it possible to get a detailed schematic diagram of my Motherboard? I have the manual, but it only gives a very generalized diagram of the Motherboard, and I want to be able to maybe track down any physical faults that may be to blame.

Regards,

Chris B.

have you tried a standard "patch" cable in between the two?

Does the second adapter work with any other network connection at the moment? I am lead to believe that the second ethernet adapter has gone out.
 09/18/2006 01:52 AM

Author Icon
Chris B.

quote:

Originally posted by: go_for
If you do a 'ipconfig /all' from the command prompt, does it read a valid MAC address(physical address),
other than 00-00-00-00-00-00 ? Did you try the latest driver from sis, v1.19 release date 2006-06-29?

Hello bvchurch,

Yes, there is a MAC address there, whether or not it is 'valid' I cannot say. I was using the SiS driver 1.16.1.0, same as computer 1, but I have a newer version now, but as I don't have access to computer 2 as I write this I cannot confirm if it is the latest driver.
Doing the 'Network Diagnostics' scan that comes with the computer, I notice that computer 2 is not listed as having an IP address, unlike the scan done on computer 1. Also, only the WAN miniport adapter gets a 'passed', no other network adapter gets a grade, passed or failed. Curiously, the 'Network Diagnostic' scan on computer 2 revealed under 'Modems', a 'Communications cable between two computers', and list lots of data. But computer 1, that has no connection problem, has no such entry.

Thanks for your response, if you can think up anything else please let me know.

Sincerely,

Chris B.
 09/18/2006 02:14 AM

Author Icon
Chris B.

quote:

Originally posted by: bvchurch
have you tried a standard "patch" cable in between the two?

Does the second adapter work with any other network connection at the moment? I am lead to believe that the second ethernet adapter has gone out.

Hello, thanks for the reply.
No, I have not tried the staight through standard 'patch' cable, do you think it is worth a try? I have heard that more modern computers can tell which cable is which. Computer 1 is a 'MSI' M630 laptop with an AMD Mobile sempron, and computer 2 is a 'Great Quality' GQ 6064 desktop with some sort of AMD XP/Athlon/Duron/Socket-462 processor.
Computer 2 accesses the internet, but when I did a 'Network Diagnostics' scan, only the WAN miniport received a 'passed', the other Network Adapters listed received no grading. Comparing the scans between the two computers, I notice that there is no entry for IP Address on computer 2's scan.

Any other ideas as to what could be the problem? I am wondering if there is a poor physical connection between the built in Network Adapter and the RJ45 LAN socket.

Sincerely,

Chris B.
 09/18/2006 07:26 AM

Author Icon
go_for
Alpha Geek

If you hook comp1 and comp1 together only, try assigning static IP address for
both of them, e.g 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3, mask 255.255.255.0.
You may also want check that the pins inside the LAN socket of comp2 is not bent or misaligned.

09/18/2006 07:59 PM

Author Icon
Chris B.

quote:

Originally posted by: go_for
If you hook comp1 and comp1 together only, try assigning static IP address for
both of them, e.g 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3, mask 255.255.255.0.
You may also want check that the pins inside the LAN socket of comp2 is not bent or misaligned.

Hello 'Go For',

Yes I have done both the things you have suggested, as well as scraping the six pins with a small screwdriver to ensure a good contact. I am trying to get more information about the motherboard , because there may be a problem with the physical connection between the built in Network Adapter, and the RJ45 LAN socket.

Thanks for the advice,

Chris B.
 09/18/2006 10:44 PM

Author Icon
bvchurch

quote:

Computer 2 accesses the internet, but when I did a 'Network Diagnostics' scan, only the WAN miniport received a 'passed', the other Network Adapters listed received no grading. Comparing the scans between the two computers, I notice that there is no entry for IP Address on computer 2's scan.

Any other ideas as to what could be the problem? I am wondering if there is a poor physical connection between the built in Network Adapter and the RJ45 LAN socket.

Computer two shows wan miniport? That is very odd, though. And you can access the internet just fine you said?

If you go to my computer and type
//(name of computer 1)

example, //chrisb1

See if you can access it this way.
 09/19/2006 09:16 PM

Author Icon
Chris B.

quote:

Computer two shows wan miniport? That is very odd, though. And you can access the internet just fine you said?

If you go to my computer and type
//(name of computer 1)

example, //chrisb1

See if you can access it this way.

Yes, WAN miniport 'PASSED' the Network Diagnosis scan, and was the only Network Adapter that received a grade. The internet connection also 'PASSED', and yes, I can most assuredly access the internet.
I went to "My Computer" as you suggested, but where am I supposed to do the typing? I can see no provision to enter text. I did try START>RUN, and typed the name of computer 1 there, but nothing could be found. Are there any recommended diagnostic tools out there there which could facilitate this process? If I could just know whether the problem is hardware or software would be a great help.

Thanks, and let me know if you come up with anything else.

Regards,

Chris B.
 09/19/2006 09:17 PM

Author Icon
vsingh
Voodoo Programmer

Go to My computer and type what bv said to type into the address bar.
 09/20/2006 09:01 PM

Author Icon
Chris B.

quote:

Originally posted by: vsingh
Go to My computer and type what bv said to type into the address bar.

Hello vsing,

The 'My Computer' page does not have an address bar. I only have an address bar with 'Internet Explorer'.
Why is that?

Cheers,

Chris B.
 09/20/2006 09:20 PM

Author Icon
bvchurch

That is interesting. It should work in IE as well.

However try this:
My Computer, View, Toolbars, select Address bar.

Hope this helps.
 09/21/2006 08:38 PM

Author Icon
Chris B.

quote:

That is interesting. It should work in IE as well.

However try this:
My Computer, View, Toolbars, select Address bar.

Hope this helps.

Hello bvchurch,

I have selected Address Bar in Toolbars<View<My Computer, but no Address Bar! Have tried searching for the other computer in IE, but not succesfully.

Regards,

Chris B.
 10/01/2006 03:54 AM

Author Icon
Chris B.

quote:

Hello bvchurch,

I have selected Address Bar in Toolbars<View<My Computer, but no Address Bar! Have tried searching for the other computer in IE, but not succesfully.

Regards,

Chris B.

Hello anybody,

I have just installed a new NIC adapter into a PCI slot, Windows has found it, installed a driver and told me the device is working properly, I have disabled the onboard network adapter, but still 'Network Connections' tells me 'Network cable unplugged'! Plus, PC1 now also tells me 'Network cabel unplugged', where formerly it indicated a network connection when PC2 was turned on. If I put the RJ45 plug back into the onboard network adapter socket, on PC2, then PC1 indicates a network connection. The new NIC also has two LED's next to it's socket, neither of which is illuminated!

So what does this new situation tell me about PC2? Is there a hardware or software problem that is preventing me from having a simple PC to PC LAN via a CAT 5 crossover cable?

Any suggestions?

Sincerely,

Chris B.
 10/01/2006 02:45 PM

Author Icon
vsingh
Voodoo Programmer

Either:

1) The PCI slot that PC2's nic is plugged into is bad; try a different PCI slot.

2) Install the latest driver from the NIC manufacturers website. Sometimes Windows stock drivers don't work correctly.
 10/01/2006 11:53 PM

Author Icon
Chris B.

quote:

Either:

1) The PCI slot that PC2's nic is plugged into is bad; try a different PCI slot.

2) Install the latest driver from the NIC manufacturers website. Sometimes Windows stock drivers don't work correctly.

I've got a driver on the floppy disk that came with the NIC, but as Windows had installed it's own, when I inserted the floppy, Windows told me that there was no more recent driver on the floppy, so I left things at that. Should I uninstall the driver Windows installed, and put on the driver from the floppy? I will try the other PCI port, but it is a tight squeeze ontop of the existing dial-up modem. How come the LED's don't light up, but Windows tells me the device is working properly? It said the same thing about the onboard network adapter.

UPDATE... I have just tried the NIC in the other PCI slot, and have uninstalled the device, then installed the driver from the floppy disk that came with the NIC. But, nothing has changed!..............what to do?
 10/02/2006 07:06 PM

Author Icon
vsingh
Voodoo Programmer

Maybe its a bad NIC and it needs to be replaced. Does the second PC have an onboard NIC on the motherboard?
 10/03/2006 08:08 PM

Author Icon
Chris B.

quote:

Maybe its a bad NIC and it needs to be replaced. Does the second PC have an onboard NIC on the motherboard?

Hello,

PC1, a laptop, is the computer that indicates a connection when PC2 is turned on (but not when it is connected to the new NIC on PC2), has a SiS 900-Based PCI Ethernet Adapter somewhere inside of it (although the Users Manual indicates a Realtek 8201). PC2 is a desktop that has a SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter built into the motherboard, and it is to this computer that I added the NIC to a PCI slot, but the 'Network cable unplugged' status of PC2 is unchanged.
I am not familiar with these cards, I believe one of the LED's would indicate a flow of data, and the other would indicate that the NIC is turned on. Neither of the LED's is on. I contacted the retailer of the card, and they said it would be unlikely that it would be the card that was at fault, but the cable. That scenario is doubtful because if I pull the cable out of the new NIC socket and return it to the original onboard LAN socket, PC1 indicates that a network connection has been established, although PC2 does not vary from the status of 'Network cable unplugged'.

I am a bit confused as to nomenclature here. Does 'NIC' mean 'network interface card'? Is a 'card' something that only gets pushed into a PCI slot, or is a built-in, on-motherboard network adapter also called a 'card', or 'NIC'?

I am also posting this problem in a thread on "Older Products Troubleshooting", where I have just left a post regarding the BIOS and 'Chipset Drivers' as possible avenues of research.

Regards,

Chris B.
 10/03/2006 09:38 PM

Author Icon
blizard

quote:

Hello,

PC1, a laptop, is the computer that indicates a connection when PC2 is turned on (but not when it is connected to the new NIC on PC2), has a SiS 900-Based PCI Ethernet Adapter somewhere inside of it (although the Users Manual indicates a Realtek 8201). PC2 is a desktop that has a SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter built into the motherboard, and it is to this computer that I added the NIC to a PCI slot, but the 'Network cable unplugged' status of PC2 is unchanged.
I am not familiar with these cards, I believe one of the LED's would indicate a flow of data, and the other would indicate that the NIC is turned on. Neither of the LED's is on. I contacted the retailer of the card, and they said it would be unlikely that it would be the card that was at fault, but the cable. That scenario is doubtful because if I pull the cable out of the new NIC socket and return it to the original onboard LAN socket, PC1 indicates that a network connection has been established, although PC2 does not vary from the status of 'Network cable unplugged'.

I am a bit confused as to nomenclature here. Does 'NIC' mean 'network interface card'? Is a 'card' something that only gets pushed into a PCI slot, or is a built-in, on-motherboard network adapter also called a 'card', or 'NIC'?

I am also posting this problem in a thread on "Older Products Troubleshooting", where I have just left a post regarding the BIOS and 'Chipset Drivers' as possible avenues of research.

Regards,

Chris B.

Every Network device are called NIC as it is considered as a unit (it is more then only a network chip; it have its own PCB). It might be part of onboard devices on motherboard and then work directly via PCI or PCI express bus or as a seperate card which you can put into PCI or PCI express interface port of your motherboard as a card. It doesn't matter how it is connected as long as it work on these interface as a part of your system and have access to your memory and CPU as every other device.

When you post, you should not make double post or use different forum at the same time for the same question. Read forum rules about this.

You can also use link and other features here in this forum instead and get help collected that way from different forum. That way you will not need to start everyting from the beginning on every site and you can avoid to flood forum with the same questions all over.

Abit AT8-32X (Xpress3200)/Athlon64 X2 4200+@stock/Corsair VS 2GB/Samsung SATA II 2x 250 GB/Club3D X1950XT GDDR3 256MB+ PowerColor Theatre 550 pro (PCIe x1)
 10/04/2006 03:17 AM

Author Icon
Chris B.

quote:

Originally posted by: blizard
Every Network device are called NIC as it is considered as a unit (it is more then only a network chip; it have its own PCB). It might be part of onboard devices on motherboard and then work directly via PCI or PCI express bus or as a seperate card which you can put into PCI or PCI express interface port of your motherboard as a card. It doesn't matter how it is connected as long as it work on these interface as a part of your system and have access to your memory and CPU as every other device.

When you post, you should not make double post or use different forum at the same time for the same question. Read forum rules about this.

You can also use link and other features here in this forum instead and get help collected that way from different forum. That way you will not need to start everyting from the beginning on every site and you can avoid to flood forum with the same questions all over.

Hello 'blizard',

Thanks for the info.
I did not believe that I was making a double post, or using a different forum at the same time for the same question. I started off with the 'Network Connections', but as that forum seemed to be software oriented, I wanted to explore the hardware side of things, so I started a thread in 'Older Products' to get information about my motherboard, like a detailed schematic diagram, so I could check for possible broken tracks on the PCB, 'dry' solder joints,etc. However, no one responded from the hardware/physical side of things, but rather from the software angle, and then the thread sort of started to follow a 'parallel evolution' with my original thread. I did read the Forum rules prior to my starting the first thread, and, in good faith, I believe I have followed those rules.

How do 'links' work?

Regards,

Chris B.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information