Topic Title: 'Network cable unplugged', can't LAN
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/17/2006 08:22 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/04/2006 10:38 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
bvchurch

quote:

Originally posted by: Chris B.
PC1, a laptop, is the computer that indicates a connection when PC2 is turned on (but not when it is connected to the new NIC on PC2), has a SiS 900-Based PCI Ethernet Adapter somewhere inside of it (although the Users Manual indicates a Realtek 8201). PC2 is a desktop that has a SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter built into the motherboard, and it is to this computer that I added the NIC to a PCI slot, but the 'Network cable unplugged' status of PC2 is unchanged.
I am not familiar with these cards, I believe one of the LED's would indicate a flow of data, and the other would indicate that the NIC is turned on. Neither of the LED's is on. I contacted the retailer of the card, and they said it would be unlikely that it would be the card that was at fault, but the cable. That scenario is doubtful because if I pull the cable out of the new NIC socket and return it to the original onboard LAN socket, PC1 indicates that a network connection has been established, although PC2 does not vary from the status of 'Network cable unplugged'.

On computer two have you tried using newer drivers?
Have you tried using a different Network Interface card (NIC) via a PCI slot.

10/05/2006 04:44 AM

Author Icon
Chris B.

quote:

Originally posted by: bvchurch
On computer two have you tried using newer drivers?
Have you tried using a different Network Interface card (NIC) via a PCI slot.

I've only used the driver on the installation floppy, and the one that Windows has in store. Should I download a 'newer' one?

I don't have another NIC to try out in a PCI slot.
 10/06/2006 12:23 PM

Author Icon
mckennma

quote:

I've only used the driver on the installation floppy, and the one that Windows has in store. Should I download a 'newer' one?
I don't have another NIC to try out in a PCI slot.

I have used two NICs and cross over cable to connect PCs. Did you try enabling the NIC that shows off line. Maybe reinstalling it might help. Could be corrupted drives. Maybe replace it with another adapter.

-------------------------
Tyan Thunder K8WE
Dual AMD 280 Opterons
8GB NUMA enabled DDR333 2.5-3-3-7 RAM
PCI-X SCSI RAID
http://69.14.190.80
 10/07/2006 04:57 AM

Author Icon
Chris B.

quote:

Originally posted by: mckennma
I have used two NICs and cross over cable to connect PCs. Did you try enabling the NIC that shows off line. Maybe reinstalling it might help. Could be corrupted drives. Maybe replace it with another adapter.

I have installed and reinstalled the adapters numerous times. I think I'll take the new NIC out and try it on another computer, to see if it indeed is ok or not.

Ciao.........................
 10/10/2006 06:45 PM

Author Icon
Chris B.

quote:

I have installed and reinstalled the adapters numerous times. I think I'll take the new NIC out and try it on another computer, to see if it indeed is ok or not.

Ciao.........................

More.................... What about if I reinstalled Windows, or 'flashed' the BIOS? Is it possible that there is some corrupted file/s or virus? What about Windows Registry?
 10/19/2006 09:48 PM

Author Icon
vsingh
Voodoo Programmer

Does the motherboard have onboard LAN? I don't think this will help (you can have more than one NIC in a system), but go into the BIOS and see if there is an option to disable the motherboard's onboard LAN port.
 10/22/2006 08:47 AM

Author Icon
Chris B.

quote:

Originally posted by: vsingh
Does the motherboard have onboard LAN? I don't think this will help (you can have more than one NIC in a system), but go into the BIOS and see if there is an option to disable the motherboard's onboard LAN port.

Yes, the motherboard has an onboard network adapter, and I have disabled it via the BIOS, but, to no avail.
 10/23/2006 12:57 PM

Author Icon
mckennma

quote:

Yes, the motherboard has an onboard network adapter, and I have disabled it via the BIOS, but, to no avail.

Did you try one of the TCP/IP repair tools on the internet before reinstalling Windows.

-------------------------
Tyan Thunder K8WE
Dual AMD 280 Opterons
8GB NUMA enabled DDR333 2.5-3-3-7 RAM
PCI-X SCSI RAID
http://69.14.190.80
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information