Increase font size
Topic Title: Interesting problem with a NIC
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/09/2006 04:14 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/09/2006 04:14 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
dot_pixel651

on my second computer (in my sig) i have installed a Belkin NIC a while back since the onboard one died and its been working flawlessly for a long time now. all of a sudden, IE doesnt want to display any web pages. we tried to ping the router, yahoo.com, and other IPs and they all worked through command prompt. but when i try in IE, all i get is This Page can not be displayed. so i thought maybe something got currupt in windows and its been a while i havent done a clean install on the system so i went ahead and did a clean install on the computer. i didnt install any apps. once it finished installing XP, i rebooted and tried to open IE and guess what, This page can not be displayed! Belkin says its an IE problem that i need to call up Microsoft for them to help me fix but its not IE and i know this because i swapped out the NIC with another one and it worked. can anyone explain what is wrong with the half working NIC?

dot.

-------------------------
AMD Opteron 165
ASUS A8N-SLi Deluxe
PNY 2x512MB DDR500
eVGA 7800GT
WD 2x160 / WD 250
ASUS 16x DVD-ROM / NEC 16x DVD-RW
Samsung 1.44
Ultra X-Finity 600
 08/09/2006 09:10 PM

Author Icon
vsingh
Voodoo Programmer

have you tried firefox lately ? or in IE options, go to the connections tab and screenshot it please. Then we can move on from there.
 08/09/2006 10:07 PM

Author Icon
dot_pixel651

i swapped the NIC with another one now and it works fine now but that NIC. its got something wrong with it. its weird because everything in command prompt works when i do ping but not in IE. once i swapped out the card out, i didnt play with any settings. left it all default. and it worked. it has to be a NIC problem right?

dot.

AMD Opteron 165
ASUS A8N-SLi Deluxe
PNY 2x512MB DDR500
eVGA 7800GT
WD 2x160 / WD 250
Samsung 1.44
Ultra X-Finity 600
 08/10/2006 03:11 AM

Author Icon
bvchurch

quote:

Originally posted by: dot_pixel651
i swapped the NIC with another one now and it works fine now but that NIC. its got something wrong with it. its weird because everything in command prompt works when i do ping but not in IE. once i swapped out the card out, i didnt play with any settings. left it all default. and it worked. it has to be a NIC problem right?

dot.

Not particularly. It is possible their was a driver or IRQ conflict somewhere along the line, though it is weird that pings and tracerts would work just fine. Usually that would suggest maybe a winsock error in IE, but doesn't seem so here.

-Hope this helped.
 08/10/2006 11:48 AM

Author Icon
dot_pixel651

quote:

Originally posted by: bvchurch
Not particularly. It is possible their was a driver or IRQ conflict somewhere along the line, though it is weird that pings and tracerts would work just fine. Usually that would suggest maybe a winsock error in IE, but doesn't seem so here.

-Hope this helped.

after about a day of thinking about it, i went into my router and went to the advanced firewall section in it and found that it was blocking port 80 on the 192.168.2.5 address that was given to the NIC card. after replacing the card, i found out that the router gave it another IP address and thats why it was working. its ok now. thanks for the input.

dot.

AMD Opteron 165
ASUS A8N-SLi Deluxe
PNY 2x512MB DDR500
eVGA 7800GT
WD 2x160 / WD 250
Samsung 1.44
Ultra X-Finity 600
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information