Increase font size
Topic Title: wirelss networking
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/05/2006 07:20 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/05/2006 07:20 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
benpb1

ok, what i want to do seemed quite basic, but i have managed to get it wrong time and time again as i really dont know what on earth i am doing.

i want to setup a wireless home network, and add my xbox 360 to it.

i have bought the xbox wireless adapter and a usb wireless adapter (for my pc) but this doesnt seem to work.

having looked around i think i am supposed to have a router, is this right yes/no? i looked online at some, but it seems that they use a seperate modem which connects by rj45. my current modem connects by usb.

do i need a new modem aswell as a router yes/no?
can i buy something that will be a modem and a router yes/no?

from what i have read i gather that the modem would be plugged into the phone line and ALWAYS connected to the internet. if this is right, does that mean i could play my xbox online without having to turn on my pc?

could i also have some recommendations for some decent equipment.

thanks for any help offered.

EDIT: also what is the difference with 802.1a/b/g which is best to use, and which is fastest?

-------------------------
currently:6000+ x2, msi k9a platinum, 6800GT, 74 gig raptor, 2gb corsair twinx 800mhz, corsair 520w psu, zalman aero flower, lg dvd-rw w/ lightscribe. all in a lovely lian-li pc-v1000BII

still to add: HD3870x2, 750gb barracuda.
 02/05/2006 07:26 PM

Author Icon
zeppelinrox

I got xbox classic
wirelessly networked and everything..
anyhow.. this is the right place to go... http://forums.xbox-scene.com/

Overclocking Help and Links . Why DRM, BluRay and HD-DVD Blow Great tools-> OC Bible v1.52 and Guidemania v1.2
 02/06/2006 07:09 PM

Author Icon
bvchurch

quote:

Originally posted by: benpb1
having looked around i think i am supposed to have a router, is this right yes/no? i looked online at some, but it seems that they use a seperate modem which connects by rj45. my current modem connects by usb.

do i need a new modem aswell as a router yes/no?
can i buy something that will be a modem and a router yes/no?

from what i have read i gather that the modem would be plugged into the phone line and ALWAYS connected to the internet. if this is right, does that mean i could play my xbox online without having to turn on my pc?

could i also have some recommendations for some decent equipment.

EDIT: also what is the difference with 802.1a/b/g which is best to use, and which is fastest?

I went ahead and cut down your quotes to the important parts.

There are two ways to setup a wireless netowrk. First, the hard way, is to use windows ICS, which requires you to leave your PC on all the time (if you reboot your pc or it is off, everything else will lose its internet connection). ICS is Internet Connection sharing, basically you would have your card spread a wireless network out, but this is very very unsafe.

The second way is the easy way. And this is done via a router, so yes you probably need a router. There are dsl and cable modems that also act as Gateways (4 ports usually), but this is assigned by your ISP. Basically on your situtation you would take from the modems output into the routers input (WAN), and the router will take care of all the logging in (if it needs to) and then will route the connection to each port. Wireless works the same way, execpt all you do is enable wireless in the router settings

Decent routers: I would stick with the big brands such as Dlink, Netgear, or Linksys, I myself use both a Netgear router, and a motorola (wr850g) router and have no problems. I would go with a router that supports both B/G connections, as these are the standards at the moment, and the cheapest to implement. A is more targeted towards enterprise solutions.
 02/07/2006 08:47 PM

Author Icon
Athlonuser
Overclocker

You always need a router if you want to network anything.

Desktop: AMD Opteron 170 2.7ghz OC, 440gb HDD space (3 HDDs in RAID-0), 4GB RAM, Hec X Power Pro 600W PSU, Gigabyte GTX 260 OC, two dvd burners, HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card

Laptop: Dell Inspiron 15 N5040, Core i3 380M, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD
 02/19/2006 10:55 AM

Author Icon
Eageltip

I myself believe in dlink. All is automatic once the simple installation is done. I run the DI-514 router. The best thign about this is that you dont need to have any computer hooked up to it at any given time. You can have your router in another room if you want and still have many devices communicating to it. I would say yes also. Get a router.

Love Life Let Life Love You Right Back
 02/19/2006 11:26 AM

Author Icon
moose64

Yea you need a wireless router you need to make sure that all hardware will work with each other,like make sure you get 802.11g and that you xbox works with it or if not get 802.11b but g is better.

Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 ,Xeon x3360
Cooler Master COSMOS Case,
4G OCZ DDR3 1600 2x2G 7.6.6.24 @2T
HIS 3870x2
WD 150G Raptor x2 0Raid & WD 250G Storage Drive.
Antec Quattro 1000Watt PS
Vista 64Bit.
 02/19/2006 12:54 PM

Author Icon
vsingh
Voodoo Programmer

quote:

Originally posted by: moose64
Yea you need a wireless router you need to make sure that all hardware will work with each other,like make sure you get 802.11g and that you xbox works with it or if not get 802.11b but g is better.

The brand of hardware shouldn't matter; just make sure everything is 802.11b or 802.11g. The DI-524 router is also very good; i use it myself and i can get a signal from like 200 ft away with 802.11g. Plus my laptop's built-in Broadcom wireless has worked with Linksys, D-Link, Netgear, and Cisco routers; i don't see why you would have a hardware conflict with different brands of wireless devices...
 02/19/2006 05:44 PM

Author Icon
Eageltip

One thing I forgot to mention is that in my main cpu, I run win98se. Now in my older cpu, I used to run win98 but the d link 510 wireless card doesn't like 98 much. They are not compatible. You need to be using at least win98se. I guess not enough patches in win98 from microsoft.....lol !!!
You'll seee also that there are a few possibilities as far as d-link. I think there's two or three types of cards/sticks....... For an apercu visit www.d-link.com

Love Life Let Life Love You Right Back
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information