Topic Title: ADSL gets disconnected
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/20/2006 04:24 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/20/2006 04:24 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
immortali

Hi,
I recently bought an ADSL connection. From day 1 I had a problem. The ADSL connection randomly disconnects, (sometimes it takes days to get disconnected and sometimes just 5 minutes) and to reconnect I have to switch off and switch on the modem. My ADSL provider first claimed that the problem was my Ethenet Card so I changed my ethernet card, but to no solution. Then they told me it was my computer, so I formatted my computer, still without solution. Now they are clueless. Has someone had the same problem and is there a solution please?
 02/20/2006 09:52 AM

Author Icon
zeppelinrox

these 2 programs together work for me everytime.
first advanced windows care http://www.iobit.com/WindowsCare.htm
second tcp optimizer http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php... click optimize, apply and reboot.

-------------------------

Overclocking Help and Links . Why DRM, BluRay and HD-DVD Blow Great tools-> OC Bible v1.52 and Guidemania v1.2
 02/20/2006 11:19 AM

Author Icon
TLH

Is it their modem you're using?Maybe it needs testing,replacing or a firmware update.
Have you got the correct filter in the line in the right place?
Maybe you could get the phone company to check your line is good and if necessary boost the gain.ie.make the signal stronger.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

1100t on M5A99x-EVO with 2x4gb and 6870 running Win7 on Force120 ssd in Corsair 600t cooled by H100. Folding for team 34106
 02/22/2006 11:29 AM

Author Icon
immortali

Hi, I am still getting disconnected altough i used those programs. It is the ISP's Cable that I am using and I had it changed too. The problem is not the line as the diconnections seem user disconnected!
 02/22/2006 08:46 PM

Author Icon
bvchurch

quote:

Originally posted by: immortali
Hi, I am still getting disconnected altough i used those programs. It is the ISP's Cable that I am using and I had it changed too. The problem is not the line as the diconnections seem user disconnected!

1) When you notice a disconnect does your dsl modem's lights flash or go off?
2) Do you have filters on every phone line besides the DSL modem?
3) Are you using a router at all? Or just a modem/gateway?

Finally, who is your ISP, what modem do you have?
 02/22/2006 08:57 PM

Author Icon
bp1019

Also, is it dropping connection when you are doing anything specific or is it totally random?

-Proud owner of a DFI because chicks dig "Big" OCs
Repsgaminglounge
 02/23/2006 01:31 AM

Author Icon
immortali

quote:

Originally posted by: bvchurch
1) When you notice a disconnect does your dsl modem's lights flash or go off?
2) Do you have filters on every phone line besides the DSL modem?
3) Are you using a router at all? Or just a modem/gateway?

Finally, who is your ISP, what modem do you have?

1) No the lights remain the same
2) Yes I jave filters on every phone line
3) I am using just the modem
The ISP is maltaNET, the Modem is Speedtouch 530v5

The Line is Dropping Randomly
 02/23/2006 01:46 AM

Author Icon
bp1019

quote:

1) No the lights remain the same
2) Yes I jave filters on every phone line
3) I am using just the modem
The ISP is maltaNET, the Modem is Speedtouch 530v5

The Line is Dropping Randomly

Sounds like the modem may need a firmware upgrade. Check Speedtouch's site and see if they have any new ones. I do tech support and we have a modem a company sends out that drops the PPPOE authentication randomly and a firmware upgrade fixes it. Call your ISP first and see if they know of any upgrades for the modem.

Repsgaminglounge
 02/24/2006 08:14 AM

Author Icon
KachiWachi

What happens when you connect the modem directly to your NID?

Did you try disconnecting everything but the modem and see what happens?

KachiWachi

Moderator - Wim's BIOS

CPU #1 - DFI 586IPVG, K6-2/+ 450 (Cyrix MII 433), 128MB EDO. BIOS patched by Jan Steunebrink.
CPU #2 - Amptron PM-7900 (M520), i200 non-MMX, 128MB EDO
CPU #3 - HP8766C, PIII-667, 768MB SDRAM
CPU #4 - ASUS P3V4X, PIII-733, 256MB SDRAM
CPU #5 - ??? ;)
 02/27/2006 03:09 AM

Author Icon
immortali

/blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> Sorry for my ignorance, but what is NID? And by disconnecting everything what do you mean?
I noted that although when not using the internet for P2P I get disconnected once every few hours (5-24hrs) when I use P2P software I get disconnected once every hour or less.
My Modem is Speedtouch 530v5 and the firmware is up-to-date.

I am still clueless at how I can prevent these disconnections but I think that a surge of uploading and downloading may be causing this disconnection. Other friends who use the same ISP and the same P2P programs etc. don't have this problem. I also know that it isn't caused by spyware because I had formatted the harddisk three times since I had the internet connection but still with the same problem.

quote:

Originally posted by: KachiWachi
What happens when you connect the modem directly to your NID?

Did you try disconnecting everything but the modem and see what happens?

02/28/2006 12:38 AM

Author Icon
bvchurch

quote:

/blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> Sorry for my ignorance, but what is NID? And by disconnecting everything what do you mean?
I noted that although when not using the internet for P2P I get disconnected once every few hours (5-24hrs) when I use P2P software I get disconnected once every hour or less.
My Modem is Speedtouch 530v5 and the firmware is up-to-date.

I am still clueless at how I can prevent these disconnections but I think that a surge of uploading and downloading may be causing this disconnection. Other friends who use the same ISP and the same P2P programs etc. don't have this problem. I also know that it isn't caused by spyware because I had formatted the harddisk three times since I had the internet connection but still with the same problem.

I think he meant NIC (your network card). See if I thought it was a physical line problem I would note that your lights would be flashing on and off when you are disconnected, but as you stated there is no change in the lights. Now what firewall are you using? Have you tried reinstalling the firewall?

ANyo ther ccomputers experience this problem when yours does?
 02/28/2006 02:07 AM

Author Icon
immortali

quote:

I think he meant NIC (your network card). See if I thought it was a physical line problem I would note that your lights would be flashing on and off when you are disconnected, but as you stated there is no change in the lights. Now what firewall are you using? Have you tried reinstalling the firewall?

ANyo ther ccomputers experience this problem when yours does?

I am using the netlimiter firewall yet when i switched it off the problem remained. I don't have other computers connected to the dsl, they are all cable which obviously doesn't offer this problem.
 02/28/2006 11:45 PM

Author Icon
bvchurch

When you see a disconnection or notice it, do you get a popup at all in the right hand corner of your screen saying the network was disconnected?

Also have you tried a refrmat of this computer?
 03/01/2006 12:50 AM

Author Icon
bp1019

May want to update the NIC drivers. Try hooking one of the other computers to your DSL and see if it happens, if not then the NIC either needs to be reinstalled or replaced.

Repsgaminglounge
 03/01/2006 01:14 AM

Author Icon
immortali

quote:

Originally posted by: bp1019
May want to update the NIC drivers. Try hooking one of the other computers to your DSL and see if it happens, if not then the NIC either needs to be reinstalled or replaced.

As I said before I tried it with two NIC cards but still without any improvments. As to updating the NIC card, it gets updated with windows update right? Therefore it should be Up-to-date
 03/01/2006 01:35 AM

Author Icon
bp1019

quote:

As I said before I tried it with two NIC cards but still without any improvments. As to updating the NIC card, it gets updated with windows update right? Therefore it should be Up-to-date

No, you need to find the brand of NIC (in the device manager) and use the drivers the manuf. has for it. The reason is that XP will assign a generic driver lots of times which can cause problems with the NICs functionality.

BTW, have you tried another computer on the DSL connection? If not then you need to.

Repsgaminglounge
 03/02/2006 07:49 AM

Author Icon
KachiWachi

No, I meant NID (Network Interface Device)...the point at which the phone company service ends and your home wiring begins (little grey box mounted to the side of your house, etc...).

By disconnect everything I mean just that...ALL devices on the line EXCEPT for the modem.

KachiWachi

Moderator - Wim's BIOS

CPU #1 - DFI 586IPVG, K6-2/+ 450 (Cyrix MII 433), 128MB EDO. BIOS patched by Jan Steunebrink.
CPU #2 - Amptron PM-7900 (M520), i200 non-MMX, 128MB EDO
CPU #3 - HP8766C, PIII-667, 768MB SDRAM
CPU #4 - ASUS P3V4X, PIII-733, 256MB SDRAM
CPU #5 - ??? ;)
 03/02/2006 09:36 PM

Author Icon
bvchurch

quote:

Originally posted by: KachiWachi
No, I meant NID (Network Interface Device)...the point at which the phone company service ends and your home wiring begins (little grey box mounted to the side of your house, etc...).

By disconnect everything I mean just that...ALL devices on the line EXCEPT for the modem.

Yeah one trick. Another thing to try is to actually look at the box on the side of your house, unplug the phone jack, plug in the phone you have and see how much static you hear.

However he says he sees no flashing of his modem lights, meaning I don't think the disconnect is coming from that end. Have you tried replacing the modem? I know with Verizon I could give them a quick call, explain some junk, a new modem was overnighted to me.
 03/03/2006 01:32 AM

Author Icon
immortali

quote:

Yeah one trick. Another thing to try is to actually look at the box on the side of your house, unplug the phone jack, plug in the phone you have and see how much static you hear.

However he says he sees no flashing of his modem lights, meaning I don't think the disconnect is coming from that end. Have you tried replacing the modem? I know with Verizon I could give them a quick call, explain some junk, a new modem was overnighted to me.

I changed the Modem yes. Same make but. Still without any solution. I updated the Ethernet Card, yet got disconnected. Now I'm trying to get another comp to try the line through another computer
 03/04/2006 01:53 AM

Author Icon
bvchurch

quote:

I changed the Modem yes. Same make but. Still without any solution. I updated the Ethernet Card, yet got disconnected. Now I'm trying to get another comp to try the line through another computer

Well its possible you have gotten two bad modems, I can attest to it, verizon sent me two bad modems.

See if I thought it was a problem with the physical line I would be fairly certain you would be seeing your modem lights go off. But its possible there may be a line problem in that you are a tad bit too far away.

Here is what I would do now:
1) Check your modem, reboot it, etc.
2) Update your computer drivers
3) Try another network cord (the actual lan cord between your computer and the modem)
4) Check all the filters are on
5) Check youre firewall, reinstall it if need be.

6) Do my little phone jack outside test, see how much static you hear.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information