Topic Title: ADSL gets disconnected
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/20/2006 04:24 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/04/2006 02:07 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
immortali

quote:

Originally posted by: bvchurch
Well its possible you have gotten two bad modems, I can attest to it, verizon sent me two bad modems.

See if I thought it was a problem with the physical line I would be fairly certain you would be seeing your modem lights go off. But its possible there may be a line problem in that you are a tad bit too far away.

Here is what I would do now:
1) Check your modem, reboot it, etc.
2) Update your computer drivers
3) Try another network cord (the actual lan cord between your computer and the modem)
4) Check all the filters are on
5) Check youre firewall, reinstall it if need be.

6) Do my little phone jack outside test, see how much static you hear.

I'll try changing the network cord as all the others I did, but, once I pinged the modem TTL and I didn't lose 1 pack, therefore I know it isn't the cord that is the problem. Also the ISP had informed me that there was no Drop of Line or something like that and that all disconnections where User Disconnected, which makes it impossibli that the problem is in the line or in the modem.
 03/04/2006 03:34 PM

Author Icon
nneely

The problem might be your inside phone lines are not twisted pair lines like in cat 5 cable.

I had the same problem that lasted for a few months. Qwest finally fixed it in September of last year.

They replaced the outside phone box with a new improved box. This box has a filter in it so I do not need to put a filter on any of my inside phone. They would run a dedicated non filtered twisted pair line from the new box to my modem for $100.

I allready had plenty of cat 5 so I did that myself (saving $100) after they left. They where also kind enough to leave me splice connectors to splice the cat 5 to the pig tail that was inside the new box for the dedicated phone line. They told me what colors to hook up to the pig tail and the new wall mount I put in my computer room. I just followed their instructions and every thing went real well.

Their was no cost for them to install the new outside box.

I have not had any disconnect problems since September of last year.

You only use 1 twisted pair of wires in the cat 5 for the dedicated phone line to the modem so the other 3 twisted pairs are available. I used 2 of the twisted pairs to hook my wifes computer to the router in my computer room.

I just went outside and looked at the new box. The name on it is a Qwest (Telephone Network Interface) made by Corning which is the same as a NID (Network Interface Device).

I only have one phone line and phone number. Its just that now all phone voice calls use the existing inside wiring to the NID. The modem uses the new twisted pair dedicated line to the NID.

Hope this helps, Norm
 03/20/2006 02:15 PM

Author Icon
Prelude76

i had a DSL modem that started disconnecting like mad, especially when doing heavy stuff, and it turned out to be that the DSL modem was overheating. I put a wireless router on top of it, and the modem got very warm to the touch. so i seperated them and problems went away.

not saying thats your problem, but its worth to check if the modem appears too hot.
 10/29/2006 05:59 AM

Author Icon
surcal

This is for everyone who are using modems or other appliances connected directly to the ups with same problem and uses dc adaptor.

The modem reboots/disconnects/resets when there is a power faliure or power fluctuations even though it is connected with ups.

This is because when there is a power failiure it takes atleast some miliseconds to switch on the battery mode. The SMPS is capable of this, it behaves as if nothing happened but the normal power adaptor cannot do that.

Just replace your power adapter with a switching mode power adaptor and hurray, every thing is working fine.

the power adapter is available in the market and can be bought for just rs. 300/- to 500/- or may be less
 10/29/2006 06:46 AM

Author Icon
Smogsy

i reacon thats the same for my dads lol gunna put fan on it
 10/29/2006 10:12 AM

Author Icon
zeppelinrox

hmm.. ive never heard of a switching mode power adapter..
interesting

-------------------------

Overclocking Help and Links . Why DRM, BluRay and HD-DVD Blow Great tools-> OC Bible v1.52 and Guidemania v1.2
 10/30/2006 08:55 PM

Author Icon
polehooker

quote:

Originally posted by: zeppelinrox
hmm.. ive never heard of a switching mode power adapter..
interesting

This may be a little late and non technical but cable pairs have footage limits. If you are in the neighborhod of 13 to 15K ft. from the QWEST central office you may not have enough "umph" from the central office to holdup a good connection. You can also not be on a "loaded" pair because digital will not pass a load. If you are beyond the footage distance you are probably behind a "remote" that is fed by light guide or T-1's and again you must be within the footage limit. Most people do not know where QWEST places their remotes unless you work for the company and they are not very forth coming (obviously for security reasons) with that type of information unless you know a QWEST tech. Good luck bud--hope you solve the problem. (by the way -- most repair clerks are hired "off the street" and don't have a clue what you are talking about when you call in a trouble report) An OLD QWEST tech. ret.
 11/25/2006 05:29 PM

Author Icon
LMDP

OK read through this thread and found it instructive. My problem is quite similar (random disconnect) and here is how it happens: Whatever the condition of my phone system....including all phones disconnected and keeping only the modem connected (Speedstream 5200) , by chance I can achieve speed up to 900Kb/sec...but that is until it disconnects, meaning a few seconds, may be 10 or 15. THen is disconnects, synchronises again, runs for a few seconds, then disconnects.......and again. THis is stricly an affair between the modem and the phone line, because it does it even if unconnected from the computer.
NOw..if I connect one phone on the line through an old Nortel NTEX35 (unpowered) 1 meg modem as the filter, then the speed falls to around 450Kbit/s...but the Speedstream modem will stay on line for ever.

THIs is a just installed new service with 3Web

I think this could have something to do with line impedance matching/standing wave (SWR) ...something that seems to be achieved with the old modem connected on the line : in fact it does not matter if the phone is actually connected to the Ntex35. ALso, it does not matter either that the other phones of the house are connected or not through their own line filters: it does not change this behaviour at all.

I take good note of the twisted line remarks..and will try to optimize the feed to the modem...and come back to report ..changes or not..and...this temperature remark...will check what happens if I let the modem cool down and try again....
 11/26/2006 05:48 PM

Author Icon
LMDP

Just intalled the modem closer to phone line entry into house....and got up to 1.1 Mbit/s..and steady . Steady is the great benefit.. 1.1Mb/s is not that much anyway. It tells wiring quality and length is prime factor. WIll work on this..but is there anyone with specific findings about best wiring type to use?
 12/02/2006 02:45 AM

Author Icon
nneely

quote:

Originally posted by: LMDP
Just intalled the modem closer to phone line entry into house....and got up to 1.1 Mbit/s..and steady . Steady is the great benefit.. 1.1Mb/s is not that much anyway. It tells wiring quality and length is prime factor. WIll work on this..but is there anyone with specific findings about best wiring type to use?

Here is a link That might be of help in decidng the best cable for your use.

http://www.broadbandutopia.com/caandcaco.html

You can also do Google search on Cat 5 vs Cat 6 cable.

Back when I did mine I had plenty of Cat 5 cable so thats what I used. My dedicated line from the outside telephone box (NID) to the modem is around 75 to 85 feet just a guess as its evening and I never did measure it. I just ran the cable on the outside of the house from the south wall to the wall on the north side of the house Drilled a small hole ran it inside and and then put an outlet box on the inside wall. I'm to old to be crawling around in the attic running cable LOL.

Like I said in my previous reply Quest had put in a new outside telephone box (NID). Which made it very easy to splice the cat 5 wires to the Pigtail wires that they left hanging in the inside the NID box.

I think you hit the nail on the head with this statement.

"It tells wiring quality and length is prime factor."

Now I just have the cat 5 from the NID to the telephone wall outlet I installed in the computer room. from the wall outlet to the modem I have a regular telephone line about 7 feet long. Now I am going to replace that with Cat 5. This way I will have twisted pair wiring all the way from the NID to the modem.

Don't know why I didn't think of that when I first did this project. Your statement above turned on a light in this old brain. Thanks!

Hope this helps
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information