Increase font size
Topic Title: Wireless Uh-Oh
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/19/2006 09:06 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/19/2006 09:06 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
TridenT_Boy3555

Hey,

I am having some troubles setting up a fellow neighbors wireless router. The problem seems to be that since she uses DSL, it requires PPPoE etc. But the big problem is that I insert her username and password, then it doesn't work. She uses AOL, which to me seems to be (The biggest Uh-Oh of all time) the cause of it all. Or am I doing something completely stupid? I go through the netgear setup the router has, and all is well until it tries to connect to the Internet. Then it fails and tells me that I screwed up horribly.

I don't want to contact AOL as that probably will involve so many jumps and turns that I will cry myself to sleep.... So yeah, I need help urgently.

-------------------------

My signature is environmentally friendly. Is yours?
 03/20/2006 12:24 AM

Author Icon
bvchurch

quote:

Originally posted by: TridenT_Boy3555
Hey,

I am having some troubles setting up a fellow neighbors wireless router. The problem seems to be that since she uses DSL, it requires PPPoE etc. But the big problem is that I insert her username and password, then it doesn't work. She uses AOL, which to me seems to be (The biggest Uh-Oh of all time) the cause of it all. Or am I doing something completely stupid? I go through the netgear setup the router has, and all is well until it tries to connect to the Internet. Then it fails and tells me that I screwed up horribly.

I don't want to contact AOL as that probably will involve so many jumps and turns that I will cry myself to sleep.... So yeah, I need help urgently.

Are you getting an IP address at all?
Next, what type of DSL modem does she have? Do you know if the DSL modem has to be bridged...meaning the modem needs to turn the logging on function over to the router....it by default will try to logon?
 03/20/2006 01:05 AM

Author Icon
bp1019

Generally thats what it is on a PPPOE connection, the modem needs to be bridged for a router. Check to see if the modem has firmware, generally you can login to it through the default gateway (192.168.1.1) and need to find an option for bridge mode.

-------------------------

-Proud owner of a DFI because chicks dig "Big" OCs
Repsgaminglounge
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information